Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Anything to do with pipe welding. 597 doesn't look to good for me to get in.

If you want to play with pipe, your other options is the sprinkler fitters union local 281, or plumbers local 130. There are non union hvac shops and plumbing shops you can apply to, but you won't be welding pipe.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Thank you sir I really appreciate it. I am still going to try to get in 597 through a few people. We will see how this turns out. Do you have any idea when apprentice classes would start up yet for 597?

I'm going to talk to a bunch of people and be aggressive and get a apprenticeship. I work to hard and try to much and have to much passion for this job to let any number of 393 out of 1677 hold me back. I'm getting it.

wouldn't 393 out of 1677 put you in the top 25%, i'd say that's not bad. Of course I'm sure I would be #1 but we can't all be perfect.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

It's actually top 17% and that's why this thing is such bs. You can't put a guys rank on their as a basis to get in if the #200 guy is a dumb ass who slacks off, (which makes him useless, hence the dumb ass) and the #300 guy works like a maniac and is really smart. You tell me if the ranking system is fair.

Yup lol I wish I was perfect like you!

unions are stupid... and let the battle begin.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Yup and that means work itself is stupid, since unions make up a lot of the work. A job is a job. Amen.

How would you go about starting to work for a non union pipe welding company??

Quote Originally Posted by Gstepgettinit View Post
    How would you go about starting to work for a non union pipe welding company??
    You're not going to find one in the Chicago area.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by Gstepgettinit View Post
    It's actually top 17% and that's why this thing is such bs. You can't put a guys rank on their as a basis to get in if the #200 guy is a dumb ass who slacks off, (which makes him useless, hence the dumb ass) and the #300 guy works like a maniac and is really smart. You tell me if the ranking system is fair.
    Actually, your score of 393 did not put you in the top 17%. If you do the math, you are in at 23.4347%, so you aren't even in the top 20%. I also fail to see your analogy of who gets in and who doesn't. How would a guy be #300 if "works like a maniac and is really smart"? If he was really smart wouldn't he be ranked higher in the testing?

There has to be a way to determine who gets selected to an apprenticeship program. Throughout the country local unions have standardized testing for their regions. How else does one determine who gets in and who doesn't? Colleges have tests. I even applied for a job and had to take a test even though I'd been 25 years in the union (and 33 in the trade). Once you are in the union there are certification tests you may be required to take. IMO, it's the only way to determine if you have what it takes. A person can be all gung ho, but not possess the aptitude to perform the job. I've seen that many times in my career. Nice guys with great attitude, but just didn't "get it".

Do you know what part of the test you didn't do well on? If you want to be a fitter, there is a lot of mathematics involved. If you want to be a welder I guess that's another thing. Based on my observations over the years there are more fitters who can weld pipe than there are welders who can fit pipe. So what does that mean? When work gets slow the guys who aren't able to do both might be the first laid off. Many years ago the company I worked for was doing a slew of chiller change-outs and retrofits. We had so much going on we hired a welder from the hall. Damn good welder, too. After he would finish some welding, we offered to show him some of the other stuff that we did. He would say "Naw, that's O.K." and sit waiting for the next weld. Guess who got laid off as soon as the retrofits started to slow down?

How about finding out where you struggled on the test and see if there are any classes you can take or books you can read to get you up to speed. Once you've put in the time and effort, take the test again and see if you can improve your position.

I wish you all the best.

Yup that's very true. But I didn't get in because I lack work experience. And there ARE non union pipefitter companies. They are coming to my school very soon. The contractors that interviewed me, (hays and steinbacher) were non union pipefitters for two years. And I think that's what I have to do. The test was stupid easy and I studied for hours and hours and every day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast