Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You'll pay for the rest of your life

If you ever slip and do something illegal you really will pay for the rest of your life. I have a felony on my record. It is something I really regret doing. Today it hit home just how bad this is going to affect me. I have been sending out my resume to some local companies. I am looking for a job in the industry to supplement my school work. I just got back from an interview at one of the better companies in the area. They were offering me a position as an install helper. The company does alot of change outs, commercial and refrigeration work. They have great benifits and a good internal promotion program. The inteviewer told me that by the end of the year I could have my own truck. Everything was going great I had the feeling that the job was mine and we just had to do the formalities of filling out the paper work. Then we got to the background check. I told him that they will find something there. I was honest about it. But the whole interview changed right then. I can understand their position. It is just disheartening to have things going so great and then go down the toilet. I havn't been turned down yet, but I didn't leave with a good feeling. So guys take my situation as a lesson a dumba$$ move that takes a couple minutes can haunt you for a long, long time. I guess the positive side of this is that someone liked my resume enough to offer me a job.
    "From those who contribute the most to those who contribute the least" Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Was your felony something that a homeowner could take as a threat?

I say this because I know something like smashing a mailbox is a felony vs. murder or theft.

I think if someone came here that smashed a mailbox, that would slide.
    Murder or theft type felonies, no dice...

put your e mail In your bio.
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Quote Originally Posted by BSCHVAC View Post
    Was your felony something that a homeowner could take as a threat?

I say this because I know something like smashing a mailbox is a felony vs. murder or theft.

I think if someone came here that smashed a mailbox, that would slide.
    Murder or theft type felonies, no dice...
    It was a construction site burglary. Which looks very bad to an employer. Like I said I regret the heck out of it.
    "From those who contribute the most to those who contribute the least" Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    put your e mail In your bio.
    Got it on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by jls74 View Post
    Then we got to the background check. I told him that they will find something there. I was honest about it. But the whole interview changed right then. I can understand their position. It is just disheartening to have things going so great and then go down the toilet. I havn't been turned down yet, but I didn't leave with a good feeling. So guys take my situation as a lesson a dumba$$ move that takes a couple minutes can haunt you for a long, long time. I guess the positive side of this is that someone liked my resume enough to offer me a job.

There are two sides to the fence you have brought up.

While you might not be able to tell, the interviewer may have been very disappointed because you had a good resume, a good interview, Good personality, good apearance, and you might have shined miles above other applicants. The reason he may have become disappointed is that he may not have been allowed to consider you further. Depending upon state and insurance company, his cost to insure you may have everything to do with it.

There is almost no doubt what so ever that the difference in one time criminals and the average person is simply getting caught, or getting caught without enough monies to get out of it.

You are correct, your one time mistake is going to follow you and it is going to make it tough, but not impossible. It sounds like you have done the right thing in elevating yourself above it and it is going to be tough, but you sound like the kind of person who will get past it.

Just remember there will be companies who will be willing to take a chance. To me, it sounds like you are working very hard to overcome your past. I think that there are employers out there who will see that you are working hard to make your life better. I am not saying it won't take finding the right employer, but you sound like you have your head on straight. Give it time and keep at it.

i know insurance rates can be very high for some companies to hire anyone with a felony so next time they mention it still be honest and offer to let them take the difference out of your pay

i know that the situation sucks but you are right you will be paying for it for a long time in one way or another

I didn't know about the elevated insurance levels till I came home and read some posts on the forum on similiar subjects. Had I known I would have made the offer to have it taken out of my pay. I know now and will do so in future interviews if this doesn't come through. Without trying to sound arrogant I am confidant in my abilities to insure timely pay raises. So I won't be at low pay levels long.
    And thanks guys for the positive replies to my post. I truely enjoy this web site.

also i have heard of people being able to get things removed from their records dont know how but may be something to look into

I have to say I feel you did the right thing by being honest. It shows you are trying to do the right thing and presenting sincerety should mean a lot in today's world. Everone makes mistakes.

Atleast your not blaming everyone else for your mistake like someone else on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by tntek View Post
    Atleast your not blaming everyone else for your mistake like someone else on the site.
    No I did it. I won't cry WOLF!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast