Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    This happened once when I was helper (many years ago). We were dispatched to a specific address; the number was something like 234...we went to 324 or something like that. It was a service call and the unit was broken! Frozen up. They let us in, we fixed, and left....billed the original customer. We only figured out our mistake when the right homeowner called wanting to know where we were!
    Nice! Your loss his gain lol! I had a call Friday, I was sick and it was close to after hours and you guessed it its been out for days! The son of the owner opened the door and kind of didn't want me to come in, I was like am I at the right house? He said yes but know ones here, I just blew by him and was like well someone called me and I just drove a half hour with a migraine and after throwing up so let me in our I'm leaving!

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    Magnetic jumper?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365604050.691854.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  36.6 KB

Had a jumper fall off R terminal in a brand new York RTU during start up years ago. The other side stayed attached to W1, well the loose end swung right into the line side of the contactor. Big flash, lit the instruction manual on fire which was still in the electrical cabinet. Blew apart every wire that was on the line side attached by flag connectors, blew the relay board, the ignition module and shorted the white wire in the thermostat cable when it blew a hole out of the insulation and against a metal stud. Sh.... happens, just hope it isn't at 4 on a Friday.

I use these jumpers, never had a problem.

You can't prevent stuff like this - though I only use my mags on stats as they are typically so hard to jump with the little contact realestate.

Had my regular gator jumpers out today in an OU out on low pressure; with live 230. Two contactors, two run caps, one start cap and a 521. Wires and contacts everywhere; in between thunderstorms and 8' up on a ladder on a wicked slope. Could have easily had an incident.
    At one point I was holding the contactor in with a nut driver way up high and reaching down to throttle in juice down low. If OSHA would have saw that I would have been in big trouble. Hovering HO was impressed and kept wanting to get his hands in there and help; adding to the fun.

The nature of the trade, nothing more...nothing less. The only reason I don't have a similar tale is I having been doing it long enough.

Thanks, you guys made my bad day muuuuch better.

Is it just me or do others here not trust the diagnostics of techs before you. Me out of curiosity will verify the diagnosis before a major repair. Its been more than once ive been sent out to change a compressor to find something like a bad cap or low charge. One unit was just low enough to work for a short period and then cut out on thermal. Tech before me added a hard start kit and proceeded to condem the comp. before i haul half my van onto the roof i threw a set of gauges on it and it was low. Found leky shader. Replaced core and added gas. Unit has been fine for 3 years now. Property owner said i was the first tech that even took a set of gauges on the roof. Needless to say the tech before me no longer works for us and i personally take of all the properties for this owner.
    Experience
    Is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

A positive attidude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodrob View Post
    Is it just me or do others here not trust the diagnostics of techs before you. Me out of curiosity will verify the diagnosis before a major repair. Its been more than once ive been sent out to change a compressor to find something like a bad cap or low charge. One unit was just low enough to work for a short period and then cut out on thermal. Tech before me added a hard start kit and proceeded to condem the comp. before i haul half my van onto the roof i threw a set of gauges on it and it was low. Found leky shader. Replaced core and added gas. Unit has been fine for 3 years now. Property owner said i was the first tech that even took a set of gauges on the roof. Needless to say the tech before me no longer works for us and i personally take of all the properties for this owner.
    Where I work, once you start a job you are stuck with it to the end. If you diagnose a bad compressor, you get to change it.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Empty duplex is under light renovation.Company goes out to do a change out on one side of duplex. Yep , they did the change out on the wrong side.
    I miss you mom and dad.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodrob View Post
    I'm always a bit leery when dispatched to repairs I didn't diagnose. Puts me in an awkward situation if the diagnosis was faulty.

I always double check. Solutions work much better when applied to the correct problem.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    Where I work, once you start a job you are stuck with it to the end. If you diagnose a bad compressor, you get to change it.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I'm always a bit leery when dispatched to repairs I didn't diagnose. Puts me in an awkward situation if the diagnosis was faulty.
    You should try being in the awkward position of calling your boss 3 times in one summer to tell him his SON misdiagnosed a compressor and have that same son hate you for it. I could go on and on with all the times this happened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast