Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cause of high pressure in heat pump heating.

Hello All,
    Having an issue with a heat pump running at high discharge temp and pressure and tripping on high pressure. I pulled charge and weighed it back in. Was low on charge which was caused by a poor service port gasket. Unit runs a little longer and trips on high pressure. Filters good, coil clean, charge good. Suspect outdoor unit txv. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

model numbers.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Frigidaire FT4BF-060k

Make sure the indoor coil is clean.

Had a look and it is clean.

Is there a filter drier? could the installer have allowed gunk/solder to block a line? During install over heated line overheating valve?
    Possible metering device clog/ malf.
    Maybe do temp check at discharge before port, after port, or maybe on line setup to metering device
    Top of head thought ymmv
    Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Heatpump1$ View Post
    Hello All,
    Having an issue with a heat pump running at high discharge temp and pressure and tripping on high pressure. I pulled charge and weighed it back in. Was low on charge which was caused by a poor service port gasket. Unit runs a little longer and trips on high pressure. Filters good, coil clean, charge good. Suspect outdoor unit txv. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Whats you suction pressures at before it trips? Is there a charge chart on the panel of this unit that shows the pressures? Have seen many heat pumps that were weighed in be overcharged in heat mode.

The unit was under charged upon first visit and it would trip sooner than with full charge. Suction pressure with correct charge stayed fairly constant but head pressure steadly climbed. Opening up tx only seemed to delay the high pressure trip. There was no pressure difference across the filter drier.

to daniel87829,
    what is ymmv? Thanks

I pulled 1.5# of charge out and this seems to have everything working good. First time I have overcharged by weighing at name plate. Every brand has their own quirks. Thank you everyone on your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatpump1$ View Post
    I pulled 1.5# of charge out and this seems to have everything working good. First time I have overcharged by weighing at name plate. Every brand has their own quirks. Thank you everyone on your responses.
    Nameplate charge means nothing unless you have the tested coil and line set, unless it is a package unit

This installation is using an approved coil and I did not ad extra for the 35 foot lineset.

Is this a newer heat pump installed on an existing coil if so charging by weight on nameplate would probably be slightly overcharged. If you have checked temp across drier and indoor coil for cleanliness already than I would say outdoor TXV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast