Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusted bolts

Would a ball joint splitter be any use? Not sure if i'm picturing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Don't forget to sprinkle some talc powder on the new stainless bolts, otherwise they could get galled up on the installation process....

Been dealing with stainless steel fasteners my entire adult life, was a marine/boat mechanic before making things cooler....
    What brand of baby powder do you prefer? do you think fine flour would do the job too? how bout stainless grade vaseline? I'm very worry about galling up stainless bolts

I think you mean a ball joint press. That should work, or maybe a pitman arm puller. Trouble is these aren't things that are usually carried in a service truck.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyspanners View Post
    Would a ball joint splitter be any use? Not sure if i'm picturing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I think you mean a ball joint press. That should work, or maybe a pitman arm puller. Trouble is these aren't things that are usually carried in a service truck.
    Its a sort of scissor action tool, two fingers to go either side on top and one to push on the thread below, its actioned by a setscrew at the other end.

I don't carry one on the truck either but think the guys been working on it a week so he could have picked one up in the time!

I think you may be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyspanners View Post
    Its a sort of scissor action tool, two fingers to go either side on top and one to push on the thread below, its actioned by a setscrew at the other end.

I don't carry one on the truck either but think the guys been working on it a week so he could have picked one up in the time!

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    What brand of baby powder do you prefer? do you think fine flour would do the job too? how bout stainless grade vaseline? I'm very worry about galling up stainless bolts
    Name:  Not sure if serious.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  8.3 KB
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by chesehd View Post
    It is going to sound crazy but after soaking with WD-40/PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench try to tighten the heads just a little bit to break them loose. You can also spend about 2-3 minutes tapping each bolt with a hammer before turning them. I know tightening is the exact opposite of your objective but after soaking, then tapping, it frequently works.

If all that fails there is always the torch...

Good Luck!

Ken
    I put up with the deletes because of this. I never once tried that.

It does make sense. Ill plug the orange can K

Thanks
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Quote Originally Posted by zartangreen View Post
    I put up with the deletes because of this. I never once tried that.

It does make sense. Ill plug the orange can K

Thanks
    I try to tighten almost everything before I loosen it. Works every time and you will rarely break bolts when you get in the habit of doing this. Also a big fan of WD-40. Don't care for PB or Aero-Kroil or any of these other home-made concoctions. I do like a product made by CRC called screw-loose. Seems to work pretty good.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

too bad you cant get a sawzall in there ....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123