Trane VFD overcurrent alarm 13 issue

Let me start by saying that this has been an ongoing issue for years and we have had multiple inside and outside contractors look into this. Many outside contractors thought they solved this issue by changing the VFD parameters. So far this issue still presents randomly without any indication of the obvious. We are thinking about swapping the VFD with a Yaskowa VFD, however this does not explain root cause of the problem.

We are experiencing a shut down of 2 TRANE rtu's at the same time. one unit is a 25 ton and the other unit is a 30 ton. Both units are experiencing an alarm 13 code for overcurrent on the VFD. Fluke data loggers show a momentary amp draw spike past the VFD setting and we have been puzzled as to what is causing this. These units do not have the power exhaust so we sometimes experience building over pressure. I was hoping that some one having the same experience could provide a solution and an explaination for what is happening on our units.

what is the model number of the DRIVE?

if it is a TR1 then i know what the problem probably is. there is a solution and if you change drives to another brand, you will experience the same issue with the new ones.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

Yes, this is a TR1 VFD. I have the manual on PDF. We have studied that manual, and should graduate with honors. At this point any advice would help. I have 5 out of 54 roof top units that are trane and I'm not a fan so far.

Alarm 13 is 'Overcurrent'.

this alarm comes up because of a bad power supply. this is idicative when every (or most) of the drives trip on the same issue at about the same time. the drive sees a power spike come into it that is greater than the maximum setpoint (don't raise the setpoint to compensate, you will buy a new drive or motor or both if you do). so the drive disconnects the motor to protect it but since the voltage issue is a spike and is over quickly versus a swell or just high voltage, the drive tries to reconnect to the motor. as it does the free spinning motor and the drive aren't in sync and the drive sees as high as 2x the allowable current....trip Alarm 13.

the fix #1: tell the utility to stop screwing around with your power. it is usually a due to the utility switching on/off their power factor correction capacitors.

the fix #2: install reactors (or possibly MOV's)...call Danfoss or Trane with the ENTIRE model number and serial number of the drive...they should be able to get you the proper size reactors.

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    Alarm 13 is 'Overcurrent'.

this alarm comes up because of a bad power supply. this is idicative when every (or most) of the drives trip on the same issue at about the same time. the drive sees a power spike come into it that is greater than the maximum setpoint (don't raise the setpoint to compensate, you will buy a new drive or motor or both if you do). so the drive disconnects the motor to protect it but since the voltage issue is a spike and is over quickly versus a swell or just high voltage, the drive tries to reconnect to the motor. as it does the free spinning motor and the drive aren't in sync and the drive sees as high as 2x the allowable current....trip Alarm 13.

the fix #1: tell the utility to stop screwing around with your power. it is usually a due to the utility switching on/off their power factor correction capacitors.

the fix #2: install reactors (or possibly MOV's)...call Danfoss or Trane with the ENTIRE model number and serial number of the drive...they should be able to get you the proper size reactors.
    I'm starting to see more and more drives coming with line reactors on them from the get-go, but not the danfoss??! Good stuff as usual jay.

Thank you for the information. We did have issues with dirty power to our Yaskowa drives. The fluke data logging excel file shows each leg at around 9 amps and suddenly jumping to 18 amps. Again thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by malaydave69 View Post
    Thank you for the information. We did have issues with dirty power to our Yaskowa drives. The fluke data logging excel file shows each leg at around 9 amps and suddenly jumping to 18 amps. Again thank you for the advice.
    you are very welcome. when the same thing starts happening to several different units, you need to investigate the common component between them...in this case, the incoming power.

install your data logger on the incoming power side and I bet you will see some fun stuff! Well, it is fun to me.

Some newer drive have a feature called free wheel sync mode. They put a small current to the motor and look at the signature coming back. Then the freq is adjusted to match the speed of the free wheeling load.

I couldn't agree more dirty junk power kills drives. You might also see high bus voltage. The bus will keep going up if the motor is running faster then the drive output.