Building a walk in cooler outside

Building a walk in cooler outside

How do walk in coolers that have most of their structure sticking outside, keep from getting too cold in the winter time in a cold climate? If I am thinking correctly, this can't be done without supplemental heaters, can it?

My boss has apparently sold a new cooler to someone that will have most of it sticking outside. The other guys from my shop just got done putting the box together and I am supposed to go out there in a couple of days to pipe it up and make it work. I haven't seen it yet. I asked my boss how we are supposed to keep the stuff inside from freezing when it gets cold in the winter and his response was "that's what the insulation is for". I'm not quite sure, so I thought I'd run it by you guys.

TRUE, thats what the insulation is for . not had a problem as you describe .

It gets to -15 here in Iowa and it doesn't ever seem to freeze in an outside cooler. I think the fan motors act as a heat source.

it will be fine...what is the insulation for......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

It may run less in the wintertime as heat transfer may be from inside to outside rather than from outside to inside, but you'll be fine.

We see them quite frequently.

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now.

Many years ago, back in NH, I sold a 6 x 8 cooler which was installed outdoors on a raised, wood deck so it was totally exposed on all sides. In windy weather below about +10F, the box couldn't hold +35F and product would often freeze.

The solution was to increase the inside light bulb to 100 watts and turn it on when it's cold outside.

Maybe I better get rid of the stock ecm fan motors and try to find some old school light bulbs for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Maybe I better get rid of the stock ecm fan motors and try to find some old school light bulbs for it.
    The ECM motors put out about 1/4 of the heat than the old shaded poles motors, so that's a good point.

Interesting thread. Rarely gets below 0 here so never had or even considered the issue. Love the light bulb trick. That's how we heat our well pump house in the winter. 4x4x4 block bld with 2" blue board on inside and a 100W light bulb keeps it in the low 50s when its 0-10 degrees outside.