+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: receiver on a cap tube system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

receiver on a cap tube system

On a reach in cooler is it wrong to have a condenser with a receiver? Thanks

Post Likes
    Not a good combo. What's the model # of this unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpizzaguy View Post
    On a reach in cooler is it wrong to have a condenser with a receiver? Thanks
    A refrigeration system using a capillary tube expansion device is, by definition, a critically charged system.

A refrigeration system using a receiver is, by definition, not a critically charged system.

Attempting to apply a capillary tube on a system having a receiver is attempting a contradiction.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    Normally no. Have seen some RIs with remote condensing units that has them, TXV set up though.

Post Likes
    According to nccer receivers are of little to no value with a fixed metering device. That gives me the impression that it wouldn't hurt anything but is pointless.

Post Likes
    A capillary tube cannot work properly with a receiver. Yes, you can get the system to cool, but that doesn't mean it's working right.

Here's a past thread which gets into more detail on the subject: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....-tube-question

Post Likes
    Funny, I have several factory build systems that run from -60c to -150c with caps and receivers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Funny, I have several factory build systems that run from -60c to -150c with caps and receivers.
    Do you have any piping diagrams for these? It would be interesting to see what they're doing differently.

Post Likes

Our ULT are cap tube and no receivers

Post Likes
    ULT. Different animal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Our ULT are cap tube and no receivers
    Maybe he's talking about an HX. Kinda looks like a receiver.

Post Likes
    Expansion chamber...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmclifton View Post
    Expansion chamber...
    While that would be considered a receiver...technically, it's not exactly the type we were referring to.

Perhaps jimp is just having a bit of fun.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    While that would be considered a receiver...technically, it's not exactly the type we were referring to.

Perhaps jimp is just having a bit of fun.
    Exactly.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info guys. This has already been hacked together and getting it working was most important. Just putting off the replacement for a bit.

Post Likes
    You could always completely fill up the receiver and make it act like a critically charged system again, or probably better yet, just remove the receiver.

Post Likes
    One of the machines is a Virtis Ultra LE 25, has daul compressors with receivers and caps.

Post Likes
    One of the machines is a Virtis Ultra LE 25, has daul compressors with receivers and caps.
    Cooling multiple loops (shelf/condenser/neg. shelf) at different times during the run, sometimes more than one loop. Varying loads - a small receiver helps reduce the time spent pushing vapor through the cap tubes... This is what I've always assumed.

Of course, anyone doing Ultra Low temp long enough knows that some of the normal rules get ignored.

Post Likes
    Filling the reciever will make for interesting start up. Remove reciever and install cap tube drier or some other access for highside. In the 80's I serviced an ice bank bulk tank with captubes and recievers. The recievers were due to length of evap. tubes. Thus large volume of refrigerant required to flood

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    You could always completely fill up the receiver and make it act like a critically charged system again, or probably better yet, just remove the receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETC1 View Post
    Filling the receiver will make for interesting start up.
    Since the refrigerant in a cap tube system will tend to migrate to the coldest spot...,ie the evaporator...adding a receiver full of liquid to the mix can cause some very severe floodback on startup.

Most of the units where I've found them receivers installed with cap tubes had 1-2 year old compressors with bad valves. I'm surprised those little guys lasted as long as they did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in