+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a better helper

Post Likes

Becoming a better helper

Hi everyone, I'm new to the HVAC trade. I'm 19 years old and have been at my current full time HVAC job as an installer's helper since last June. I got hired right out of high school, so yeah. I'm really really lucky.

I took my local Vo-Tech's HVAC program for 2 years and got a decent understand of the very basics, but now out in the field, everything seems so very different.

Introduction over. I want to know how to be a better helper. Granted, I still have very little experience and being one of the youngest guys at the company I get hazed and harassed no other, its all in good heart. How can I get better at the trade? Whether its online guides, simple teamwork stuff, whatever. I'd like to know everything I can.

If this topic is in the wrong section or anything, let me first explain that my company mainly does commercial work (at least recently) and some residential work. Lately I've been doing a lot of commercial work with my installer, so I figured this would be a better place to put it.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Show up on time, don't lolligag (walk at a good speed, don't just amble along), don't check your personal phone every 15 seconds. If your journeymen looks like he is trying to work something out, don't ask him a million questions. If you are doing an install, think a couple steps ahead. Have the tools ready to go for when they need to be used.

Did I mention not being late to jobs? Oh yah, don't be late to jobs.

Post Likes
    I always show up on time. They made a really big deal about it at school, so I figured it was a pretty good thing to keep a hold of.

Thanks for the insight! I'll work on thinking a few steps ahead and having the tools out.

Post Likes
    New guy buys lunch
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    How about: care. So many techs are looking forward to payday just to get hammered or get the hell off of work. Care about the trade. Care about the equipment and customer. Write down part numbers from some of the individual parts and pieces and then look them up to see how they work. Ask very specific questions about a very specific part to learn about its job/role in the machine. And last but not least: shut up. When the lead tech is talking...you shouldn't be talking. By shutting up, you might just find out that the lead tech is a liar or doesn't know crap....and that is good information to know too.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    pay attention

listen

ask questions, if you don't understand the answer; ask again-no necessarily right then, but ask again for clarification.

as the others have suggested: anticipate what is going to happen, before/as it happens
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    The main thing I look for in a newer guy is the quality of his work I would rather see someone take 4 hours to do a job in a neat, quality way than see him slop something together in 2 hours so just always do good work and the word will get around and people will take notice

Post Likes
    I find it comical they would have to tell you to show up on time in school! Thought it was common sense.

Post Likes
    Every journeyman is different. Different pet peeves and expectations. Get to know them all. Ask them up front what they expect. Some want you under their feet asking questions and learning. Some want you to do the work as they explain and show. Some want you wear a path to the truck retrieving tools one at a time and so on. Just be clean, sober, and on time and ready to do what the lead man you are with needs you to do. You're almost a year in so you're apparently not a dirt bag. Keep at it. Good luck.

Post Likes
    In addition to what others have suggested:

Keep tools in there proper place ie; where you found them.

Do not dope the Union.

If the customer asks you a technical question, refer them to your journeyman....don't say duh Im not sure?

Post Likes
    Wear kneepads at all times.

Post Likes
    grab me a coffee and get back here in 15 mins...than we will talk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I find it comical they would have to tell you to show up on time in school! Thought it was common sense.
    You have no idea how bad this generation is proclaimed to be. Its really disheartening and sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    In addition to what others have suggested:

Keep tools in there proper place ie; where you found them.

Do not dope the Union.

If the customer asks you a technical question, refer them to your journeyman....don't say duh Im not sure?
    What do you mean, "dope the Union"?

And thank you guys! Its good to hear I'm already doing most of these things.

Except the kneepads. I did laugh at that though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyXT94 View Post
    You have no idea how bad this generation is proclaimed to be. Its really disheartening and sad.

What do you mean, "dope the Union"?

And thank you guys! Its good to hear I'm already doing most of these things.

Except the kneepads. I did laugh at that though.
    Don't put pipe dope on a union, where the union joins together.

Post Likes
    The knee pad thing is real, I'm 26 and feel mine hurting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Don't put pipe dope on a union, where the union joins together.
    Oh. I took that the wrong way. I thought you meant the Steamfitter's Union... I was really lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    The knee pad thing is real, I'm 26 and feel mine hurting
    I see. I usually wear them when I'm on the concrete cutting insulation or banging tin together.

Post Likes
    It sounds like you're off to a good start, but I'll throw my in.

Read HVAC-Talk every day.

Be on time.

Be a student of the trade. Learn not just how, but why.

Question everything.

Wear kneepads, even for the standing up jobs.

Buy quality tools and quality boots.

Don't kiss @zz and don't ever hang your co-workers out to dry. Always take the high road. If there is an issue in the field, resolve it in the field with reason and discussion between yourselves as adults.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Always pass tools handle first
    Think about if you were the one working what would you need from a helper next?
    Dont stare like a trout at your journeymen
    If the workplace is getting messy or untidy you need to ask yourself why thats happening
    Show initiative

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timtanguay View Post
    Show up on time, don't lolligag (walk at a good speed, don't just amble along), don't check your personal phone every 15 seconds. If your journeymen looks like he is trying to work something out, don't ask him a million questions. If you are doing an install, think a couple steps ahead. Have the tools ready to go for when they need to be used.

Did I mention not being late to jobs? Oh yah, don't be late to jobs.
    ABSOLUTELY SPOT-ON. Just fired someone for not being on time...

Post Likes
    KNEEPADS - OH YES! Believe it or not, there are cases of people DYING from not using them. Blood clots. Invest in a excellent set. Don't just buy some garbage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in