+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading/Unloading AC unit into truck or van

Post Likes

Loading/Unloading AC unit into truck or van

Just wondering if there's an easy way to load and unload an ac unit to and from the back of the truck or van if you have to do it alone. Found this one on youtube which seems to be a good idea. I don't know how it could work on a van though with the doors and stuff. Do any of you guys have a system of doing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yIAEdcrTQ4

Post Likes
    We had a truck like that and wound up removing the crane.

Working on a setup with small chains hoists, unistrut and unistrut trolleys to move heavy compressors, but it isn't done, yet.

Post Likes
    That looks pretty cool and fairly easy to set up, I may have to look into that. We have one that bolts to the bed of a truck but it just rips the bed to shreds after a lift or 2. I guess it would work well on a flatbed with steel floor, there just isn't anything strong enough to bolt it to on a pickup. I like the idea of using the receiver hitch.

Post Likes
    I usually use a cart or dolly of some sort, if it is available, and use milk crates to adjust the height so that it is level with the floor of the van. Then, rock it into the van. Otherwise, find a helper and He-Man it into the van.

Post Likes
    I just built a long set of ramps from 2x8 with aluminum strips on the side to keep the wheels of the dolly from coming off. Very easy, very cheap, durable and they slid into anything I was driving. And there are end plates you can get from some of the hardware folks to mate up the 2x8 ends to the bed/surface on both ends.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Working on a setup with small chains hoists, unistrut and unistrut trolleys to move heavy compressors, but it isn't done, yet.
    I'm thinking that might work too for ac units on a van setup with the proper load capacity hoist and beefed up ceiling installation.

Quote Originally Posted by eeeVAC
    I usually use a cart or dolly of some sort, if it is available, and use milk crates to adjust the height so that it is level with the floor of the van. Then, rock it into the van.
    I'm having a hard time visualizing this. It looks complicated.

The ramp idea is nice too Delta. I might look into how I can make one that will work for me. I like how it won't cost too much to build it.

I found where you can buy the lift from the video, expensive at about $1,150 but looks worth it if you do it a lot.

http://www.spitzlift.com/receiver-hitch.html

Post Likes
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...amps+ramp-kits

Two long 2x8's with some sort of side rails and the above ramp kits and you can just about move anything anywere. When I moved to Florida I gave them to the guy what purchased my Pexto shear. Weighing over 600 pounds I ran a 2x4 backbone on the back of the 2x8 and secured it with bolt/flat washers every 12 inches or so. The ramps never even flexed when the shear ran up it.

And the longer the ramps the less slope so it's much easier to push stuff up.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Try that with a trane ac. Haha, no

Good idea. Guy localy has a tailgate lift on his truck

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...amps+ramp-kits

Two long 2x8's with some sort of side rails and the above ramp kits and you can just about move anything anywere. When I moved to Florida I gave them to the guy what purchased my Pexto shear. Weighing over 600 pounds I ran a 2x4 backbone on the back of the 2x8 and secured it with bolt/flat washers every 12 inches or so. The ramps never even flexed when the shear ran up it.

And the longer the ramps the less slope so it's much easier to push stuff up.
    Thanks for the link! That is awesome, the kits can indeed make you think of different ways to create your own ramp. I'm ordering one for sure.

Post Likes
    Loading is one thing.

Unloading, is easy with a van if you still have the spare tire under the van.

Take your 2 wheeler, and cram it under the van at an angle, so the fork (bottom plate) is wedging the 2 wheeler in place.
    Pull the ac back, lean it against the 2 wheeler, and start rocking the 2 wheeler back and forth to get it unwedged.

Pull the 2 wheeler away from the van, and the unit will slide down the 2 wheeler.

Done it that way for 7 years. The biggest problem I face is getting anything greater than 3.5 ton, or anything greater than 14 seer to FIT in the dang van.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    slide ac out of truck and let gravity do the work. when loading get one corner in back of van then go to other side and slide it in. do a lot of pushups after work. oh ya cut all copper out and put in copper bucket and motor in motor bucket and take home, it usually makes for easier loading.

Post Likes
    I agree that unloading is a lot easier specially with smaller units. I think I understood the method using the 2 wheeler and will give it a try. I just wish I am younger like a lot of you guys are here but I do try to give myself a workout from time to time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Loading is one thing.

Unloading, is easy with a van if you still have the spare tire under the van.

Take your 2 wheeler, and cram it under the van at an angle, so the fork (bottom plate) is wedging the 2 wheeler in place.
    Pull the ac back, lean it against the 2 wheeler, and start rocking the 2 wheeler back and forth to get it unwedged.

Pull the 2 wheeler away from the van, and the unit will slide down the 2 wheeler.

Done it that way for 7 years. The biggest problem I face is getting anything greater than 3.5 ton, or anything greater than 14 seer to FIT in the dang van.
    If you have a trailer hitch on the back of your van... simply put the handle of the 2 wheeler onto the hitch (between the ball and the van). Slide the unit out onto the 2 wheeler and truck it where you are going.
    The reverse is the same; Truck the unit to the van, tip the 2 wheeler over onto the trailer hitch, and slide the unit into the van.

In my case (Chevy Express), I have something like 47.5" of height to play with. The units I install are always less than 36" anyhow... so it is not an issue.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Don't have a hitch but I'm now realizing how you can make the job easier in different ways just by using the 2 wheeler. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Try 1 of these.

http://www.escalera.com

They even make a hitch accessory so you can carry with you on your truck!

Used 1 for several years with woodstoves and they work awesome. Hard wheels make it a little difficult to get through yards though.

Post Likes
    There is one other thing... helpers... That is what helpers are for... to do the work... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Two wheeler at an angle for unloading. Loading the big ones simply requires another guy. They ain't gettin' any smaller, that's for sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Two wheeler at an angle for unloading. Loading the big ones simply requires another guy. They ain't gettin' any smaller, that's for sure.
    Dang big brother. Trying to kill us anyway they can.

Especially concrete slabs:
    "al's concrete. a/c slab huh. 24x24, 30x30, or window maker?"
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Removing- 2x4 5 ft long

Loading- Make the supplier store do it on new equip
    improper lifting with the assist of the dolley - change outs

Post Likes
    I use a helper, if i dont have a helper i bring my flat bed trailer with the drop down gate and simply roll it up on the trailer and go.. i have struggled at time when alone and have a surprise emergency install and not have my trailer with me and getting stuff off is easy but back on can be a challenge..

helper or trailer is best but a cheap quick ramp assembly might work but i may not have room in my f250 long bed as its stacked with tool boxes,ladders, and other stuff already.. carrying around a bulky setup for the occasional a lone install might not be worth the trouble for the money etc..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in