Hybrid View

Hmm York yk refrigerant level control.

Does anyone have any information on the refrigerant level control, York yk chiller. I have read all tech. Infrormation, & still have questions. It seems York is unclear on certain aspects of the operation. There is an %offset on the Optiview panel. I now have five York chillers, and have different readings on all of them. If you could share any information it would be great.

Thanks!!!
    Moonbuggydgoad

Other than your target versus actual percent level control, the zone to zone time and percentages are set points The factory default settings for those are usually good but sometimes do need adjusting, as far as the level setpoint this you have to figure by looking at approach, Refrigerant level in the evaporator and maintaining enough liquid in the condenser at full load to keep the sub cooler submerged by a couple of inches, All this has to be done at design conditions and use it to verify performance of machine You say you have the literature, sometimes you have to read it a couple times for it to sink in
    I know the guy who know's the "Chiller Whisperer"

Quote Originally Posted by joegrind View Post
    Other than your target versus actual percent level control, the zone to zone time and percentages are set points The factory default settings for those are usually good but sometimes do need adjusting, as far as the level setpoint this you have to figure by looking at approach, Refrigerant level in the evaporator and maintaining enough liquid in the condenser at full load to keep the sub cooler submerged by a couple of inches, All this has to be done at design conditions and use it to verify performance of machine You say you have the literature, sometimes you have to read it a couple times for it to sink in
    I with you except for the "design conditions" limitation. If the correct amount of refrigerant is in the machine the "target" liquid level in the condenser is 50% sight glass at ALL times. Maintaining that level is not an exact science by any stretch because you are controlling a non-linear device with a linear signal. It takes some fiddling with at times. Sorry, Moonbuggy, but I will not get into an in depth discussion or share information in the "shallow" end.

My statement is based on two things, the level control was set up properly during commissioning 0% and 100% were actually set properly And also that there is a full charge in the machine. Sometimes people lower the set point to compensate for loss of charge As Knew York Also feels any more in-depth info should be exchanged on the pro-form

Quote Originally Posted by joegrind
    My statement is based on two things, the level control was set up properly during commissioning 0% and 100% were actually set properly And also that there is a full charge in the machine.
    I found that many JCI/York technicians didn't know how to set the level probe properly. (I'm not saying that yours weren't...it was an observation of my time in the field.) Also once set, they do not remain calibrated forever. Some have to be recalibrated on occasion. The level controller and the device it controls, the variable orifice, are probably two of the most misunderstood devices on a York chiller.

You certainly are correct! I calibrate 0% During Winter service when the machine is static It is definitely a eureka moment when it all comes together and you actually figure out what they were thinking. I guess that's where the original poster is Heading