Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MO99 vs 427A

MO99 vs 427A

Just looking for some thoughts on the pro's and cons of each. With R22 heading toward $500 a can. It's just not an option anymore. But the amount of R22 equipment out there (allot of it still in very good condition) can't be ignored ether. Many customers are just not up to replacing their equipment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC mech. View Post
    Just looking for some thoughts on the pro's and cons of each. With R22 heading toward $500 a can. It's just not an option anymore. But the amount of R22 equipment out there (allot of it still in very good condition) can't be ignored ether. Many customers are just not up to replacing their equipment yet.
    Find the leaks and fix them then top off with r22

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Find the leaks and fix them then top off with r22
    That doesn't work if the unit has a sever undercharge. But the question is which refrigerant have you found to work better for you MO99 or 427A

That doesn't work if the unit has a sever undercharge. But the question is which refrigerant have you found to work better for you MO99 or 427A
    Have not used either and probably won't. I think 407c is what I would switch to if anything. It's a little more work but from the little research I've done it will match capacity/temps better than others. MO99 would be tempting since you don't have to change the oil out. If I do go this route I would first try it on some equipment at my shop to test it out. As for now, the customer has 4 choices: find/fix leak and charge with r22, charge with r22 and let er rip, change out with a new r410a system or find someone else to dump another refer in it.

Have not used either and probably won't. I think 407c is what I would switch to if anything. It's a little more work but from the little research I've done it will match capacity/temps better than others. MO99 would be tempting since you don't have to change the oil out. If I do go this route I would first try it on some equipment at my shop to test it out. As for now, the customer has 4 choices: find/fix leak and charge with r22, charge with r22 and let er rip, change out with a new r410a system or find someone else to dump another refer in it.
    I have a couple of property's I work with that have equipment that is on the verge of replacement. Might be a good place to test.

I have a couple of property's I work with that have equipment that is on the verge of replacement. Might be a good place to test.
    Just do your research and let the customer know what problems may arise (capacity/efficiency loss, longer run times, etc.)

Just do your research and let the customer know what problems may arise (capacity/efficiency loss, longer run times, etc.)
    I've been looking at the data sheets for 427A and MO99. The compressor has to be cut and oil dumped and replaced for 427A. MO99 on the other hand is compatible with R22 oils and can be dropped in.

None of them can be dropped in on top of r22, charge must be removed and replaced. Some require a partial oil change while others do not.

Have 4 RTU's (2 with 2 circuits (york) and 2 with 1 circuit (trane)) and a walkin freezer that have MO99 in them for about a year now and have not had any problems with them. All we had to do was change all the filter driers, and anything that has a o-ring on it in the system. R22 causes the seals to swell and MO99 with not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caheiman30 View Post
    Have 4 RTU's (2 with 2 circuits (york) and 2 with 1 circuit (trane)) and a walkin freezer that have MO99 in them for about a year now and have not had any problems with them. All we had to do was change all the filter driers, and anything that has a o-ring on it in the system. R22 causes the seals to swell and MO99 with not.

Thanks I think I've come to a decision for my company. I've been reading the data on both. MO99 seems to be the way to go.

We tried M099 about 2 years ago on one system. So far, so good.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Doesn't MO99 cost within a couple dollars per lb of R22?

R22 here in Washington is almost 500 per jug, MO99 is under 300 per jug. Just bought a jug of MO99 in January

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast