Post Likes

ORI-ORD setup -- 350 lb head, 50 lb suction Problem

Anyone have problems with this set-up before. I have clean filters liquid and suction. This is circuit B on a SA30 Desert-Aire heat recovery system serving a natatorium. Unit pressures are normal in cooling ( using outdoor condenser ) when in reheat (indoor condenser) I get a high headpressure and low suction pressure. But what is wierd is that sometimes the pressures are normal. Both condensers share the ORI-ORD the only thing that it also might be is the check valve sticking in partial open. My next move will be to take pressure and temperature drops across all the components. One thought I had was maybe the ORI bellows is leaking somehow and building internal pressure making the valve not open all the way. But this would affect the pressures of the outdoor condenser operation also? I have found that if I cycle the condensers (switch to outdoor and then back to indoor)the problem goes away for awhile. Thanks for any feedback.

Post Likes
    Indoor coils are generally smaller than outdoor coils. With the set up you are using, you probably need a place for the extra refrigerant to go when you aren't using it like a receiver.

Post Likes
    The unit does have a reciever M/N UR108 I agree the reciever should be storing the extra refrigerant and not the condenser. It appears that the liquid is not being let out of the condenser when it should be. The 7/8 liquid line sight glass just before the expansion valve is also flashing (and when the pressures are normal it is not). I have a factory weighed in charge.

Post Likes
    Remove the cap on the ORI valve. If it hisses and all returns to normal, replace it.

They DO leak internally and it does affect their settings, typically in a manner similar to what you're describing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Remove the cap on the ORI valve. If it hisses and all returns to normal, replace it.

They DO leak internally and it does affect their settings, typically in a manner similar to what you're describing.
    Some years ago, I had an ORI that did just that. It would take a couple of days to get a new valve, but I had to keep this rack running, so I brazed a 1/4" access valve onto the cap and vented it to suction.

That little trick got me by until I got the new valve.

Post Likes
    Yes I have see a hand full of ORI failure, It had high head, very hot liquid line, sight glass flashing.. from what I experienced.

Post Likes
    ORI-ORD? Open on Rise of...?

Post Likes
    ORI -- Opens on Rise of Inlet pressure ,, ORD -- Opens on Rise of Differential pressure