Concrete Cooling Tower o.O

So. I've never seen this before, and hopefully never will again.
    I began a maintenance on a 1 year old BAC closed loop cooling tower, upon opening it up I was taken back by what I thought was a serious amount of calcium carbonate build up. So I continue on and start with pulling the suction strainer....which I could not pull out. Got some water sprayed in there to try and loosen things up. After a half hour I finally pulled it out, which is when I made my discovery.....everything inside the tower wasnt calcium, it was concrete. Someone had finished some concrete/mortar work outside the tower (with it running), now the strainer is trash, leaves and such mixed with concrete, I can't even begin to clean that out. Here's my question......is there any chemical that will loosen this up so I can power wash it out? I can manually break up (with my hand) the stuff in the basin and pull it out, but the heat exchanger can't be fully reached. There is about a 1/16th inch film of this mortar all over the inside.

Someone needs to be held responsible for that one.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I know they use hydrochloric acid to etch concrete, but that could easily do more harm than good.

Myth busters blew up a cement truck once, that didn’t work.

Looks like someone’s getting a new tower!

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Myth busters blew up a cement truck once, that didn’t work.

Looks like someone’s getting a new tower!
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Someone needs to be held responsible for that one.
    Correction, someone needs a beating.

Muriatic acid

Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid.

I seriously doubt it will help your situation. It will likely damage other components as well.

Someone on here had a concrete truck clean it's chute out in a cooling tower. Maybe they will chime in. Sounds like a nightmare.

we service lots of lime and concrete plants there is a product called Renegade its a concrete and lime de-solver you spray it on dry it transforms the concrete into a like paste material you can then wash off, only due a small area at a time, it re drys hard again in 15 min or so. its blue. i get it from our lime plants but i think its available from auto zone. its very expensive, like 50$ a gallon or more depending on quantity. to do a 50 ton condenser it takes about 5 gallons. the guys at the plant wash there trucks with it so i wouldn't worry about damage to the equipment. 100 grain vinegar works ok, commercial toilet bowl cleaner works great to. i have cleaned many a concrete filled coil. would love never to do another.