Post Likes

Concrete Cooling Tower o.O

So. I've never seen this before, and hopefully never will again.
    I began a maintenance on a 1 year old BAC closed loop cooling tower, upon opening it up I was taken back by what I thought was a serious amount of calcium carbonate build up. So I continue on and start with pulling the suction strainer....which I could not pull out. Got some water sprayed in there to try and loosen things up. After a half hour I finally pulled it out, which is when I made my discovery.....everything inside the tower wasnt calcium, it was concrete. Someone had finished some concrete/mortar work outside the tower (with it running), now the strainer is trash, leaves and such mixed with concrete, I can't even begin to clean that out. Here's my question......is there any chemical that will loosen this up so I can power wash it out? I can manually break up (with my hand) the stuff in the basin and pull it out, but the heat exchanger can't be fully reached. There is about a 1/16th inch film of this mortar all over the inside.

Post Likes
    Someone needs to be held responsible for that one.
    It's not if your doing it right it's whether your doing the right thing that is important.

Post Likes
    I know they use hydrochloric acid to etch concrete, but that could easily do more harm than good.

Post Likes
    Myth busters blew up a cement truck once, that didn’t work.

Looks like someone’s getting a new tower!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Myth busters blew up a cement truck once, that didn’t work.

Looks like someone’s getting a new tower!
    lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Someone needs to be held responsible for that one.
    Correction, someone needs a beating.

Muriatic acid

Post Likes
    Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid.

I seriously doubt it will help your situation. It will likely damage other components as well.

Post Likes
    Someone on here had a concrete truck clean it's chute out in a cooling tower. Maybe they will chime in. Sounds like a nightmare.

Post Likes
    we service lots of lime and concrete plants there is a product called Renegade its a concrete and lime de-solver you spray it on dry it transforms the concrete into a like paste material you can then wash off, only due a small area at a time, it re drys hard again in 15 min or so. its blue. i get it from our lime plants but i think its available from auto zone. its very expensive, like 50$ a gallon or more depending on quantity. to do a 50 ton condenser it takes about 5 gallons. the guys at the plant wash there trucks with it so i wouldn't worry about damage to the equipment. 100 grain vinegar works ok, commercial toilet bowl cleaner works great to. i have cleaned many a concrete filled coil. would love never to do another.