Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Daikin's going in my house!!

Howdy, folks,

OK, so I really have no idea which section of the forum a post like this goes in, so I'll just file it in "General" for now and hopefully will be able to post its conclusion in "Wall of Pride" later.

My furnace and air weren't working for my house any longer. The previous owner built an addition but didn't bother to upgrade the furnace or air at that time, so the new addition, despite being connected to the system, never heated and cooled correctly. The furnace also started going out this winter... it was tripping on high temp every morning when it kicked on and, judging by the rust that fell out of the thing when ripping it out, it was well on its way to the graveyard anyways.

I am well aware of the Daikin system and its substantial benefits over traditional HVAC systems. We've specified these systems enough in our office and feel so strongly about their many advantages that I decided to install one in my home. I contacted my local vendor and purchased a VRV III-S system with four indoor units.

RXYMQ48PVJU (Outdoor Heat Pump)
    FXMQ18PVJU (x3 for the three largest zones which include Bedrooms, Living Room/Dining Room/Kitchen and the new addition/problem zone Family Room)
    FXMQ07PVJU (Basement)

I'll do all of my own wiring and piping but I did hire a contractor to hang the units and do all of the ductwork. I didn't have any sheet metal tools and even if I did would prefer somebody who could make it more workmanlike that I could.

Now showing is Day 1: The demolition. Not much to see here other than missing mechanical equipment, but thought I would log my progress. The new units are still in their boxes.

Name:  20130406_130023.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  33.8 KBName:  20130406_220351.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  39.6 KBName:  20130406_234235.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  30.3 KBName:  20130406_234244.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  24.8 KB

For those interested, this thing is going to be hooked up to a dedicated electric meter. One of my chief complaints is how nobody can seem to rate these things, even with AHRI ratings now. (They are based on average configurations so each system is different) We know from clients that energy bills drop, sometime substantially, but I also energy model and it seems there is no real way to model these things with any degree of accuracy. I'm hoping that tracking real-world data will help see what this thing really does.

I'll be posting and updating through the week. I'm hopeful I'll be done sometime next week.
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

You are using the ducted air handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You are using the ducted air handlers?
    Yes. I had the diffusers in my home that I wanted to reuse and I also have duct heaters for auxiliary heat as well.
    -Aristotle

From what I've research the ducted vs ductless is a 5-10 seer point degrade right out of the box then add in duct loss on top of that. I'm sure they will still be ultra efficient compared to a traditional system though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    From what I've research the ducted vs ductless is a 5-10 seer point degrade right out of the box then add in duct loss on top of that. I'm sure they will still be ultra efficient compared to a traditional system though.
    It is about a 1.5 to 2 SEER difference, but yeah, there are the duct losses.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I havnt done any of the vrf units but the Samsung inverter is like 18-19 seer with ductless and a hair over 13 with ducted. I'm going off of memory so don't take it as the gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by gschra11 View Post
    Yes. I had the diffusers in my home that I wanted to reuse and I also have duct heaters for auxiliary heat as well.
    Will you have the current duct looked over and double checked for proper sizing and delivery?

I'm just asking because even though the equipment is great time and time again we see great equipment get ruined by poorly designed and implemented duct systems.

I would really like to install some of the ducted units in my area because I think they would be really effective.

With the exception of the individual takeoffs to diffusers, all ductwork is being demolished and replaced with properly sized ductwork with one inch of insulation lining for acoustics. (Since one unit will go through the garage which is unconditioned, it will also help thermally.)

There will be adequate take-offs per fan-coil to ensure adequate airflow.
    -Aristotle

Day 2

Nothing really happened on Sunday, so Monday was Day 2. In order to make way for the fan coil unit serving the living room and kitchen part of the house, the water heater needed to be moved. After a terribly stubborn pipe was finally ripped out of the water heater, (Can you say "Galvanic Action?") we finally got the water heater moved out of the way so that the piping and flue make way for the new ductwork. Also, the first fan coil unit is hung in the garage, and the new diffusers have been cut in my family room. Finally, the weather has put a hamper on plans. The new outdoor concrete pad can't get poured this week due to rain, so it will likely get poured on Saturday. Thursday we will do piping instead, reversing the two days. This probably means startup won't happen until mid next week. Minor setback.

Name:  20130408_234840.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  35.6 KBName:  20130408_234849.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  39.6 KBName:  20130408_234922.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.9 KBName:  20130408_234940.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  34.4 KBName:  20130408_235111.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  40.8 KB
    -Aristotle

Day 3

Contractors returned to the site today. One more fan coil is up and the ductwork has started. Many of the takeoffs have been connected and some are going to be a bit more difficult. The light fixture in the laundry room got in the way and was moved. The water heater got a new flue. The junk pile is getting bigger...

Name:  20130410_210015.jpg
Size:  40.2 KBName:  20130410_210024.jpg
Size:  43.0 KBName:  20130410_210243.jpg
Size:  29.3 KBName:  20130410_210303.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  24.7 KB
    -Aristotle

Now Day 4...

The fan coil in the laundry room is nearly complete. The main duct trunks to the fan coil were completed today. The biggest progress was in the crawlspace underneath the family room. This fan coil got hung, ducted and all take-offs complete in just one day! Hopefully I'll never have to get back there again... might be a little tough. Also, that is NOT flex duct. That is wrap around solid pipe, ducted that way from the diffuser to the trunk. Return will get cut-in tomorrow. As you can see, the duct heaters are here and are ready to go in. They will get installed tomorrow when the electrician (yours truly) begins to wire everything up.

Name:  20130411_174327.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  31.6 KBName:  20130411_174344.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  33.6 KBName:  20130411_174417.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  35.3 KB
    -Aristotle

The blower in that crawl space one will be fun to get out if it ever needs to come out.
    It is accessed from the bottom.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yep, you're right. There really was no other good place to put it, though, considering that this is the unit that serves the room above it. If the blower does need to be replaced, I'll have to take the return air off of the back of it.
    -Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast