+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote Monitoring via network

Post Likes

Remote Monitoring via network

Hello,

We have couple generators in the field which we would like to monitor the status of.

The generators have dry contacts, and would send this data via our network.

What we would to have, is a device at the generator which would be connected to the dry contacts. This device would also be able to send this data over our network which on the other end be picked up from another device. Then pass this data onto some type of screen for the user.

Any ideas on what we could use?

Thanks

Post Likes
    what is the media of your network and what protocol does it use? rs485, ethernet, ???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    what is the media of your network and what protocol does it use? rs485, ethernet, ???
    Ethernet. So the device would need to be I\O - Ethernet to Ethernet - I\O to sometype of display.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by integrator View Post
    Ethernet. So the device would need to be I\O - Ethernet to Ethernet - I\O to sometype of display.
    Good day Integrator,

How many Inputs and what would be your budget? Given your response I take it you would not want a web-page displaying the input status and would prefer a dedicated stand alone display, correct?

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Integrator,

have a look at Loytec's L-IOB I/O modules and an L-Vis display (both have BACnet IP capability). Might meet your needs?

Post Likes
    I suggest you look into ModbusTCP based i/o devices and Modbus TCP Touch screen, probably the best bang for the buck.
    good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    I suggest you look into ModbusTCP based i/o devices and Modbus TCP Touch screen, probably the best bang for the buck.
    good luck.
    Amigo,

I have not personally seen one, can you give an example?

Post Likes
    Almost all industrial HMI touch screens support Modbus TCP, master or salve protocols. There are many many choices out there, here is an example:
    http://www.maplesystems.com/graphic-...screen-hmi.htm

you can also find them with i/o on board.

If I were the OP and Modbus TCP fitted my needs, I would go with combination of this for i/o:
    http://canada.tri-plc.com/nano10.htm

and the above touch screen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DDC_Dan View Post
    Integrator,

have a look at Loytec's L-IOB I/O modules and an L-Vis display (both have BACnet IP capability). Might meet your needs?
    Ditto on the Loytec Liob and LVIS.

They now have stand alone IP controllers with a small display that will host an LWEB project for graphical display.
    http://loytec.com/en/products/liob/4...-io-controller
    I'm not sure but you may be able to run a LWEB 802 project from the device and have access from smart phone, ipad etc....

bacnet or Lon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sam View Post
    Good day Integrator,

How many Inputs and what would be your budget? Given your response I take it you would not want a web-page displaying the input status and would prefer a dedicated stand alone display, correct?

Cheers,

Sam
    Hello,

Around 10 inputs per generator. We are looking at two generators to start with, and couple more down the road.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Contemporary Controls have a controller/webserver: http://www.ccontrols.com/basautomation/basremote.html
    If your generators have MODbus for remote control and monitoring (most modern ones do or have an add-on communications module) you could bring in all types of data directly into the BASremote. No software required (unless you want to use Sedona/Tridium) for configuration.

I have not used that controller, but have used CC Ethernet routers, BACnet/IP to MSTP routers and Fiber to Ethernet converters on multiple projects and recommend their products and tech support.

kontrol out
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by integrator View Post
    Hello,

Around 10 inputs per generator. We are looking at two generators to start with, and couple more down the road.

Thanks
    Good day Integrator,

How big of a display?... and also would you want your multiple generators' inputs on a single display and/or on multiple displays?

Amigo's suggestion has some merit, as it is hard to beat Modbus I/O device pricing... and Displays from Maple or even Automation Direct (C-More or C-MoreMicro) are a pretty good value for what the offer:

http://c-moremicro.automationdirect....are/index.html

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    As stated previously it may make more sense to go with a gateway if the brand of equipment has such. We've done a number with Cat, Detroit Diesel, others and with a gateway you can get so much more data, fuel levels, run times, temps, oil pressure, etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in