Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: York YHJF 2.5 ton Vs Trane 15I 2.5 ton

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks for your imput.

There is no duct work in place yet. The house in new only 3 years old and well insulated so not much room for improvement there. Using HVAC Calc at 14F I get a heat loss of 23000. this x 25% in case of errors is 28700, I have a sensible heat load of 21300 .The 2.5 York has a sensible cooling load of 21000 - 23000. A 2.5 seems like the right choice. I was thinking of 3 ton 2 stage because I live in eastern canada and would need more heating than cooling even though the numbers are similar for loss and gain.

Jimmy
    York has some neat hyper heating programs that can be setup with a 2stage 3 ton. Basically can lock compressor in full stage and lower indoor fan to deliver hotter supply temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    York has some neat hyper heating programs that can be setup with a 2stage 3 ton. Basically can lock compressor in full stage and lower indoor fan to deliver hotter supply temps.
    Thanks . I did not know about locking the compressor for heat only. I have heard of hyper heat from those models though. Any more information on this would be appreciated.
    The York 3 ton YXH can lower my balance point to 13F. It was one of my considerations if I went with a 3 ton. The average winter low temperature in Feb here is 15F (-9.5 C) I have to look at pricing. I just think that maybe the 2.5 ton YHJF would be enough. This gives me a balance point of 21F.

Jimmy

Post Likes
    SBKold

What models would zoning be an option for. If i could do zoning with a 2 ton I could have a balance point of 17 degrees for just the main floor which we could do on real cold days (and 26F for the whole house when it is above 26 I can heat the downstairs). Can I do zoning with the 2.5 Ton models?. The problem I see with that is if downstairs isn't heated then the house heat loss goes up.

Post Likes
    When you get the load calc from the dealer, if a 2 ton will support your load requirement, then a 2-ton two-stage unit is the way to go for a zoning application - with a zoning panel that can control the staging properly. If you're between 2 and 3 tons, then you have to consider that you are in Canada where heating is your primary concern, so a lower balance point is a factor. Since you are installing new ductwork, now you are able to make sure that each zone has sufficient capacity for the minimum cfm required when that zone is calling. Sounds like you're on the right track to getting it done properly. Good luck and keep us posted.

Post Likes
    Thanks Ryan

A 2 ton 2 stage vs a 2.5 single stage ( can you get 2.5 in 2 stage) is posssibly better but I am not sure.

I need more research.

Thanks

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyP; 04-06-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks Ryan

A 2 ton 2 stage vs a 2.5 single stage ( can you get 2.5 in 2 stage) is posssibly better but I am not sure.

I need more research.

Thanks

Jimmy
    There used to be a 2.5 ton R22 XL19i. The 20i's come in full ton sizes only. I think a 3 ton XL20i would be a great system to go with if you elect zoning. It does depend on what the final load calls for however. Low stage on the 20i would be ~18,000 btuh. Then you'd have 525-675 cfm (depending on installer settings) on low stage. When one zone is calling, this would be much better than pushing ~ 1000 cfm required on low stage with either a 2.5 ton single stage heat pump or 3 ton two stage heat pump on low stage. You'd achieve longer runtimes, quieter operation, and overall better control over each zone's temperature. Assuming the zoning control would lock in the low stage compressor when just one zone is calling. I would look for a good Trane dealer who knows how to work with ComfortLink zoning if you're still considering a 20i -- I know you made a post a while back inquiring about it. It is a great piece of equipment when installed and set up properly.

Post Likes
    Ryan

Thanks for your knowledge and it is valuable. The problem is here, I can't even get anyone to come visit and do a proper laod calc. There are no Trane, York, Carrier, Ect dealers here. It is mostly HVAC companys. They say there is no need to drop by but you need XXXX. I know it id BS but I have been trying for a month and have yet to have anyone drop by to look.

Post Likes
    That is too bad. I'd like to be optimistic and say keep looking, but if you're in an isolated area I know it can be hard. Have you tried the contractor locator map on this site? Best of luck in finding a good contractor to do the work. You now know the importance of proper sizing and a quality install, so you have the ability to discern good from bad at least. Getting an efficient, properly sized and installed system will be more than worth it in terms of comfort and reliability down the road (and optimally, good savings compared to your previous configuration).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in