Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 28
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,040
    I just returned from the factory here in Kansas where they make the York units and they really impressed me with how much quality they put in the products. I will be installing many more after seeing the quality.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Size the Aux to the heat loss, or you could be very sorry if the heat pump breaks down during older weather. And a part is on back order.

    If your going to get a 3 ton 2 stage, look into the Trane 20i.
    I have 2 propane fireplaces. one in basement and one on main floor if I need Aux heat. I really only want the AUX heat for the heat pump to take the chill from a defrost cycle. I am trying to install this with a 120 Amp electrical panel. HP uses 20 Amps. AH 15 without aux heat or 32 amps with 24000BTU heat strip. Though if I have to the electrical upgrade will be done if required.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    6,274
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    I just returned from the factory here in Kansas where they make the York units and they really impressed me with how much quality they put in the products. I will be installing many more after seeing the quality.
    I am under the impression that York does Not have a real strong presence in the Florida residential market.
    + I don't know WHY?

    $$$ in distribution set-up?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    I think they're both great products and similar in a lot of ways. I do prefer the aluminum coils Trane has to offer personally, and think the EEV in Trane Hyperion air handlers is nice and the overall build quality of their units is phenomenal, but York makes a great product as well IMO. Many major brands had copper coil leaking issues in the past years and all worked to improve or eliminate the issue of formicary corrosion in different ways (tin-plating, going aluminum, better quality copper, etc.). I think we'll be seeming more use of aluminum coils (indoor at least) and EEV's as brands begin to launch the their inverter-driven systems. Similar to Dan, the residential market for York seems a bit more limited than most brands in my particular Maryland suburb. The York distributor is located in Baltimore, which likely has to do with it. There is a local Luxaire supplier nearby, which is equivalent to York. Of course commercially you see York everywhere. And in residential new construction as some large-scale home builders have national account agreements with UPG.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 04-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If I were in your shoes I would do a home energy audit and fix issues with the house and duct system rather than spending the extra on higher end equipment and get tge load down to 2 tons and use a single stage 14/15 seer York LX IMHO
    Thanks for your imput.

    There is no duct work in place yet. The house in new only 3 years old and well insulated so not much room for improvement there. Using HVAC Calc at 14F I get a heat loss of 23000. this x 25% in case of errors is 28700, I have a sensible heat load of 21300 .The 2.5 York has a sensible cooling load of 21000 - 23000. A 2.5 seems like the right choice. I was thinking of 3 ton 2 stage because I live in eastern canada and would need more heating than cooling even though the numbers are similar for loss and gain.

    Jimmy

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I am under the impression that York does Not have a real strong presence in the Florida residential market.
    + I don't know WHY?

    $$$ in distribution set-up?
    We recently changed from a not so good distributor to a very good one.

    From what I see they will be a strong player if they keep up their policy's.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    6,846
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    We recently changed from a not so good distributor to a very good one.

    From what I see they will be a strong player if they keep up their policy's.
    X2, since m&a supply took over York in the southeast the distributer-dealer-manufacture relationship is much better. I see them growing exponentially in the next few years.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks for your imput.

    There is no duct work in place yet. The house in new only 3 years old and well insulated so not much room for improvement there. Using HVAC Calc at 14F I get a heat loss of 23000. this x 25% in case of errors is 28700, I have a sensible heat load of 21300 .The 2.5 York has a sensible cooling load of 21000 - 23000. A 2.5 seems like the right choice. I was thinking of 3 ton 2 stage because I live in eastern canada and would need more heating than cooling even though the numbers are similar for loss and gain.


    Jimmy
    York has some neat hyper heating programs that can be setup with a 2stage 3 ton. Basically can lock compressor in full stage and lower indoor fan to deliver hotter supply temps.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    York has some neat hyper heating programs that can be setup with a 2stage 3 ton. Basically can lock compressor in full stage and lower indoor fan to deliver hotter supply temps.
    Thanks . I did not know about locking the compressor for heat only. I have heard of hyper heat from those models though. Any more information on this would be appreciated.
    The York 3 ton YXH can lower my balance point to 13F. It was one of my considerations if I went with a 3 ton. The average winter low temperature in Feb here is 15F (-9.5 C) I have to look at pricing. I just think that maybe the 2.5 ton YHJF would be enough. This gives me a balance point of 21F.

    Jimmy

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112
    SBKold

    What models would zoning be an option for. If i could do zoning with a 2 ton I could have a balance point of 17 degrees for just the main floor which we could do on real cold days (and 26F for the whole house when it is above 26 I can heat the downstairs). Can I do zoning with the 2.5 Ton models?. The problem I see with that is if downstairs isn't heated then the house heat loss goes up.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    When you get the load calc from the dealer, if a 2 ton will support your load requirement, then a 2-ton two-stage unit is the way to go for a zoning application - with a zoning panel that can control the staging properly. If you're between 2 and 3 tons, then you have to consider that you are in Canada where heating is your primary concern, so a lower balance point is a factor. Since you are installing new ductwork, now you are able to make sure that each zone has sufficient capacity for the minimum cfm required when that zone is calling. Sounds like you're on the right track to getting it done properly. Good luck and keep us posted.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112
    Thanks Ryan

    A 2 ton 2 stage vs a 2.5 single stage ( can you get 2.5 in 2 stage) is posssibly better but I am not sure.

    I need more research.

    Thanks

    Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyP; 04-06-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks Ryan

    A 2 ton 2 stage vs a 2.5 single stage ( can you get 2.5 in 2 stage) is posssibly better but I am not sure.

    I need more research.

    Thanks

    Jimmy
    There used to be a 2.5 ton R22 XL19i. The 20i's come in full ton sizes only. I think a 3 ton XL20i would be a great system to go with if you elect zoning. It does depend on what the final load calls for however. Low stage on the 20i would be ~18,000 btuh. Then you'd have 525-675 cfm (depending on installer settings) on low stage. When one zone is calling, this would be much better than pushing ~ 1000 cfm required on low stage with either a 2.5 ton single stage heat pump or 3 ton two stage heat pump on low stage. You'd achieve longer runtimes, quieter operation, and overall better control over each zone's temperature. Assuming the zoning control would lock in the low stage compressor when just one zone is calling. I would look for a good Trane dealer who knows how to work with ComfortLink zoning if you're still considering a 20i -- I know you made a post a while back inquiring about it. It is a great piece of equipment when installed and set up properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event