Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York YHJF 2.5 ton Vs Trane 15I 2.5 ton

Post Likes

York YHJF 2.5 ton Vs Trane 15I 2.5 ton

I am more inclined to pick the York , it is easier to find all the expanded performance data for them. I would like to know more about the trane but I can't seem to fine the performance data so i can get a balance point.

Any one have the tables?

Thanks.

Jimmy

Post Likes
    What indoor model are you pairing the Trane with (full model #)?

Post Likes
    That is the problem I don't have any numbers for the Trane. I was thinking the TAM 7 but I have no performance numbers to compare

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks

Post Likes

Thumbs up Balance Point Chart provided ... thanks to Ryan H's link

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Addressing use of 2.5 ton XL15i with 1,200 CFM [ARI 5021599] for a calculated 24,000 BTU/HR at 10'F.
    One might expect a Balance Point near 20'F ( +/- 4'F) if heat loss calculation is accurate within 10%.
    No heat loss calculation is KNOWN to be accurate within 10%
    without a measured infiltration and known window characteristics.

See attachment for "visual explanation".

Also, heat loss at 40'F is half the capacity of this 2.5 ton heat pump,
    so one may guess run times to be near or < 50% when the Outside Air is > 40'F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks Dan

If the load calculation is close to accurate it seems to be a good choice with a 3kw Aux heat to supply 8000 btu's/hr when needed.

I have added 25% to the numbers I get with HVA calc and come up with 27000 heat loss @ 20 F
    I am also thinking of going with a 3 ton 2 stage so more heating at high and sufficient cooling in low stage. Would that be OK or too oversized.
    Would that be enough to take the chill out when the system defrosts?
    Someone if finally suppose to show up here next week and do a load calculation.

Jimmy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks Dan

If the load calculation is close to accurate it seems to be a good choice with a 3kw Aux heat to supply 8000 btu's/hr when needed.

I have added 25% to the numbers I get with HVAC calc and come up with 27000 heat loss @ 20 F
    I am also thinking of going with a 3 ton 2 stage so more heating at high and sufficient cooling in low stage. Would that be OK or too oversized.
    Would that be enough to take the chill out when the system defrosts?
    Someone if finally suppose to show up here next week and do a load calculation.

Jimmy
    I suspect your calc is probably accurate.
    However, infiltration is nearly Always somewhat of an Unknown.

3 Ton __ First stage balance point = ~ 30'F.
    3 Ton Second stage balance point = ~ 15'F.
    .:. Minimal use of heat strips.

On whether a 3 Ton is a good overall heat pump selection, I am a bit ambivalent.
    It would seem to be appropriate and economical for Winter conditions.

Maybe you'll get some Other opinions here from techs who know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks Dan

Which 3Ton did you use for the plot?

Post Likes
    Size the Aux to the heat loss, or you could be very sorry if the heat pump breaks down during older weather. And a part is on back order.

If your going to get a 3 ton 2 stage, look into the Trane 20i.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Thanks Dan

Which 3Ton did you use for the plot?
    Simplification [10 minutes work instead of 35 minutes] ... 3 ton 2nd Stage is assumed = 1.17 * data for 2.5 Ton XL15i
    Conceptually IT IS GOOD.
    I doubt that 3 Ton 2 stage data would yield a Balance Point more than 1.5'F different than presented for 2nd stage.

Similarly, First stage of 3 Ton is = 1.9 Ton which is probably a little lower than an actual 3-Ton 2 stage unit ( might be ~2.1 T).
    But, you 'got the picture'.

That's WHY I say: It's not rocket science, But IT IS SCIENCE with "Some Art".

If one wished to make it complex, I am going to tell one to break a year into 6 minute intervals ... 87,600 intervals.
    K I S S

Post Likes
    If I were in your shoes I would do a home energy audit and fix issues with the house and duct system rather than spending the extra on higher end equipment and get tge load down to 2 tons and use a single stage 14/15 seer York LX IMHO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If I were in your shoes I would do a home energy audit and fix issues with the house and duct system rather than spending the extra on higher end equipment and get tge load down to 2 tons and use a single stage 14/15 seer York LX IMHO
    If his calculation is appropriate, I don't see much room for improvement.

I do recognize the cost increase from SEER 15 to 16 [ one stage to 2 stage] is likely more significant than from SEER 13 to 15 (both single stage).

Post Likes
    I just returned from the factory here in Kansas where they make the York units and they really impressed me with how much quality they put in the products. I will be installing many more after seeing the quality.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Size the Aux to the heat loss, or you could be very sorry if the heat pump breaks down during older weather. And a part is on back order.

If your going to get a 3 ton 2 stage, look into the Trane 20i.
    I have 2 propane fireplaces. one in basement and one on main floor if I need Aux heat. I really only want the AUX heat for the heat pump to take the chill from a defrost cycle. I am trying to install this with a 120 Amp electrical panel. HP uses 20 Amps. AH 15 without aux heat or 32 amps with 24000BTU heat strip. Though if I have to the electrical upgrade will be done if required.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    I just returned from the factory here in Kansas where they make the York units and they really impressed me with how much quality they put in the products. I will be installing many more after seeing the quality.
    I am under the impression that York does Not have a real strong presence in the Florida residential market.
    + I don't know WHY?

$$$ in distribution set-up?

Post Likes
    I think they're both great products and similar in a lot of ways. I do prefer the aluminum coils Trane has to offer personally, and think the EEV in Trane Hyperion air handlers is nice and the overall build quality of their units is phenomenal, but York makes a great product as well IMO. Many major brands had copper coil leaking issues in the past years and all worked to improve or eliminate the issue of formicary corrosion in different ways (tin-plating, going aluminum, better quality copper, etc.). I think we'll be seeming more use of aluminum coils (indoor at least) and EEV's as brands begin to launch the their inverter-driven systems. Similar to Dan, the residential market for York seems a bit more limited than most brands in my particular Maryland suburb. The York distributor is located in Baltimore, which likely has to do with it. There is a local Luxaire supplier nearby, which is equivalent to York. Of course commercially you see York everywhere. And in residential new construction as some large-scale home builders have national account agreements with UPG.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 04-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Thanks for your imput.

There is no duct work in place yet. The house in new only 3 years old and well insulated so not much room for improvement there. Using HVAC Calc at 14F I get a heat loss of 23000. this x 25% in case of errors is 28700, I have a sensible heat load of 21300 .The 2.5 York has a sensible cooling load of 21000 - 23000. A 2.5 seems like the right choice. I was thinking of 3 ton 2 stage because I live in eastern canada and would need more heating than cooling even though the numbers are similar for loss and gain.

Jimmy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I am under the impression that York does Not have a real strong presence in the Florida residential market.
    + I don't know WHY?

$$$ in distribution set-up?
    We recently changed from a not so good distributor to a very good one.

From what I see they will be a strong player if they keep up their policy's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    We recently changed from a not so good distributor to a very good one.

From what I see they will be a strong player if they keep up their policy's.
    X2, since m&a supply took over York in the southeast the distributer-dealer-manufacture relationship is much better. I see them growing exponentially in the next few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in