Confused Gas Furnace sediment trap leaking oil...

Hello

The sediment trap (drip leg) that is connected to my natural gas pipe going into the furnace leaks oil once in a while. I tested for gas leaks with my leak detector and there are none nor do I smell any gas. Once in a while there is a wet oily spot on the concrete floor under the sediment trap. When this happens if I run my finger under the bottom cap of the sediment trap there is a clear oil on the bottom of the cap.
    This is a mystery does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sometimes a lot of thread cutting oil gets all over the place when pipe is custom cut to length. Wipe down with a citrus based solvent cleaner such as one of those orange based ones. You can wrap a band of paper towel around the pipe at several places to see where it wets with oil. Make sure you put the last one at the threads on that sediment trap cap threads. Has anyone unscrewed the cap to see if there is a lot of internal oil in this pipe? If so then this is a good illustration why the code still requires traps. Try a commercial soap bubble test solution instead.

Are you a contractor or a homeowner with a gas sniffer?

Hello hearthman

I am just a homeowner. I bought the UEi CD100A leak detector because I thought I smelled gas every time I went to one of my relatives house. It was a great investment.

The house is 6 years old so the pipe was put in 6 years ago. I noticed the same issue around 7 months ago and I cleaned it up. Now it happened again. The bottom of the drip cap is wet with clear oil like liquid that is odorless. It doesn't make sense. If the oil was leaking from inside the drip cap wouldn't gas be leaking out also?

Thanks

My guess: you have a tiny pinhole in that cap. If there is enough oil in the piping it is 'sealing' the hole so no gas is escaping. Eventually all the oil will escape and THEN it will leak gas. Try disconnecting & capping the appliances & do a high pressure test on the line and you will probably find it. Or you could just replace the cap & see what happens.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-06-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: non AOP member

sevenzeronova

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.