Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What license should HVAC contractor have in NJ?

I got an estimate for A/C and furnace replacement from a HVAC contractor today. I found that on his business card, he put only home improvement contractor license and I couldn't find plumbing or electrical license number. Does contract need to have plumbing license in order to do this work?

Most of other HVAC companies that I got quotes from last week have plumbing license. Some even have both electrical and plumbing licenses.

Should I be concerned with the guy who has only home improvement contractor license?

I would avoid the home improvement guy like a plague.

I don't know if he's just acting as a middel man and sub the work out.

It seems that the other two guys have more specialized licenses but if they don't have a a dedicated hvac license then something is wrong there also.

I just checked the net. You need an HVAC license to install furnaces and ac.

Call your local building dept. They can give you more specific info.

there is NO hvac license in the state of NJ, only registration for us is the home improvement contractors registration.

on new installs a licensed electrician must do the high voltage wiring.
    we are allowed to do gas piping and drains without a plumbing license.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    there is NO hvac license in the state of NJ, only registration for us is the home improvement contractors registration.

on new installs a licensed electrician must do the high voltage wiring.
    we are allowed to do gas piping and drains without a plumbing license.
    Come agiain? I am sure I read that there is an hvac lic required. Not saying you are because obviously you live there.

So Is the OPs guy with the home improvment allowd to pul a furnace, make new metal and install with just an electrical permit.

Cool check locally

You need to check with your local building dept., too. Many will have local requirements even when the State does not. For instance, certain communities require details on jobs others do not. There can be some *interesting* interpretations by building officials. Joisey is usually pretty big on pulling permits so do your homework for which and if they are inspected or not. Ultimately, it is the homeowner's responsibility.

FYI, the Home Improvement Contractor registration in Joisey is run through the Dept of Consumer Affairs. You can go to their site to see what types of work fall under their license and what not.

NJ HVAC License

As of 2010, there is no HVAC license { that I am aware of } in NJ. Each county and municipality may have their own required permits for any given installation. Many require a electrical permit since you are installing a disconnect and whip to the condenser. Many require a plumbing permit to make sure the condensate was NOT connected to the house waste piping!
    Some only require a mechanical permit and that encompasses all.

I have been in business for over 30 years. I have the NATE license. Its like the ASE car mechanics have to get to work on your vehicle. It requires classroom training and a test that was like the BAR EXAM for lawyers. NATE hopes that this will be recognized throughout the country one day and be the way homeowners and those in the industry can recognize individuals that "know their stuff and can prove it".

As for estimates.....references from past installs or even check with your local inspector regarding the company if you want some solid feedback to their work.

Do your homework first!

John
    NATE License# 6972917

Agreed, never heard of a license requirement except for boiler operators. most of the inspectors we run into dont even know what the hell we do. they want to see permit and electrical license number.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Come agiain? I am sure I read that there is an hvac lic required. Not saying you are because obviously you live there.

So Is the OPs guy with the home improvment allowd to pul a furnace, make new metal and install with just an electrical permit.

doing this work for 40 yrs, no license required at all.

home improvement contractor registration is a joke, all they require is proof of insurance.

every town is different as far as what permits are required and it makes it a real PITA every time we go to do a job in a town we have not worked in for a while.

only license we need for permits is electrical for the outdoor disconnect and we use a sparky to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    doing this work for 40 yrs, no license required at all.

home improvement contractor registration is a joke, all they require is proof of insurance.

every town is different as far as what permits are required and it makes it a real PITA every time we go to do a job in a town we have not worked in for a while.

only license we need for permits is electrical for the outdoor disconnect and we use a sparky to do them.
    It's ok to work on their 5" gas main with no license..........but don't you dare cut their hair, without a license.

Quote Originally Posted by 1maytech View Post

I have been in business for over 30 years. I have the NATE license. Its like the ASE car mechanics have to get to work on your vehicle.

John
    NATE License# 6972917
    License number, or certification number?

There is a big difference.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

yeah, for sure. NATE is no license.

that would be a trip standing in line to pull a permit and the guy in front of you is try to use a NATE cert to get a furnace permit.

NJ only requires a Home Improv Lics. Some town are now asking for a copy of your Refrigeration Certificate. There was talk of a HVAC lics, but nothing has come around yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast