Hybrid View

Question on Trane's XL950 Thermostat

I have an XL950 controlling a Trane XL20i with a 4TEE3C04A1000A air handler. When the system cycles, it runs for 5-6 minutes indicating "Cooling" is running. The system shuts off and the display shows "System Idle". After about 5 minutes the display then changes to displaying "Waiting" and the system will start its next cooling cycle in 5-10 minutes.

Why does the display go from "System Idle" to "Waiting" ?
    Is it normal for the XL950 to cycle so frequent and run for a short time? ( set for 3 cycles)

Just curious why it goes to a "Waiting" status.

Thanks for all input

Does anyone have any input as to why the XL950 goes to a "waiting" status - as described above?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the System Idle means (maybe it means there is no call for heat or cool) on that thermostat but Waiting typically means there is a 5 min delay on the thermostat before it initiates a call for cool or heat. why it is recycling like that I am not sure. could be a number of things I would have a professional look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trehak01 View Post
    I'm not sure what the System Idle means (maybe it means there is no call for heat or cool) on that thermostat but Waiting typically means there is a 5 min delay on the thermostat before it initiates a call for cool or heat. why it is recycling like that I am not sure. could be a number of things I would have a professional look at it.
    System idle means system is not on. Waiting means the t-stat is calling for heat and cool and the system is in 3-5 min wait period (5 min normal).

As as as system operation does not sound like it is working right. I would call the installers back out to review over set up and wiring to ensure hooked up properly.

The 950 t-stat is good and my company has installed serval but again they have to be set up for the system you have by the installer inturn telling the 950 what system is outside and inside and then set up for other features such as humdity control, air flow etc..

As far as normal for the system to cycle on and off like you say is not normal unless the calling for heat and cool is meet and due to the weather being mild the system is not having to run very long to achive this. Did the installing company do a Load cal to ensure proper size (oversizing could also lead to this but don't want to say that is the probelm cause I have seen a load cal, the system set up etc..)

It could be something very simple or something a little more complex. That is the importance of having the installing company back out to review over the system for proper set up and operation. What size is the current system compaired to your old system?