Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Advice regarding top of line dual fuel furnace/heat pump system

Been trying to do my due diligence and research regarding all the various brands of dual fuel systems.

Spec wise, Carrier greenspeed (infinity 20 and infinity 98) / bryant (evolution extreme and evolution variable speed) seems best.

Aside question: Is inverter tech same as variable speed or modulating?

My installer prefers AS (accucomfort platinum 20 and 98), but says he can do whatever I want.

From what I gather...all the big names (lennox, carrier/bryant, AS/trane, rheem, etc) are all about the same...if you compare the equivalent line equipment. So top end are all similar?

Any opinions on which to go with? I'm fine with higher initial cost if it pays off in the end...hence my choice of using dual fuel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Post Likes
    Modulating refers to the gas furnace ( would not choose this in a dual fuel). Variable speed refers to the blower motor ( I would want a true ECM variable speed blower). Inverter technology refers to a compressor that is variable speed (pretty awesome technology). All the brands are the same, so find an installer that is gonna do a great job for you and go with their recommendation on brand

3. Likes meebers liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You would also need a service tech. who understands how your system works , ( as your installing a complicated system ) when you call for an occasional Preventive Maintaince check in the future or have a possible service call in the future . Remember companies go out of business or downsize all the time whether they are long term or short term companies . The team who installs your system and in particular the person who commissions it , chances are will not be the same person especially as the years pass.

What I would request to leave on the job from the Tech. who is commissioning your system and twicking it is a " sequence of operation " and any notes on how it was set up so the next Tech. has an idea of how your unit is suppose to work . Whether that's the detailed install guide to each piece of equipment or his/her field adjustments . Techs have different levels of experience .

I would bet just the thermostat instructions set up is probably as thick as a phone book .
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-19-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the comments...do u prefer the carrier product over the american std product? Neither heat pump mentions inverter tech although the bryant heat pump does. Are the carrier and as heat pump using inverter tech too?

Why wouldnt u use a modulating furnace in a dual fuel setup?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    Modulating refers to the gas furnace ( would not choose this in a dual fuel). Variable speed refers to the blower motor ( I would want a true ECM variable speed blower). Inverter technology refers to a compressor that is variable speed (pretty awesome technology). All the brands are the same, so find an installer that is gonna do a great job for you and go with their recommendation on brand
    Modulating works pretty good on dual fuel systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philw007 View Post
    Thanks for the comments...do u prefer the carrier product over the american std product? Neither heat pump mentions inverter tech although the bryant heat pump does. Are the carrier and as heat pump using inverter tech too?

Why wouldnt u use a modulating furnace in a dual fuel setup?
    Carrier and Bryant are the same units.
    Trane and American Standard are the same units.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Thanks beenthere...I knew about carrier/bryant and AS/trane situation. Its why I thought it interesting that the bryant heat pump mentions inverter tech and the carrier heat pump doesn't. I'm thinking that the top heat pump for all 4 companies use inverter tech...just that only bryant mentions it?

Post Likes
    Just for reference, i'm looking at this for carrier:
    INFINITY® REMOTE ACCESS TOUCH CONTROL SYSTXCCITC01-A
    INFINITY® 20 HEAT PUMP WITH GREENSPEED™ INTELLIGENCE 25VNA0
    INFINITY® 98 GAS FURNACE WITH GREENSPEED™ INTELLIGENCE 59MN7

And this for AS:
    Platinum 95 Furnace
    AccuComfort™ Platinum 20 Heat Pump
    AccuLink™ Platinum 950 Control

Strongly leaning toward carrier atm. Will be using 3 sets of these for my house...a 5ton, 3ton and 2 ton. Ducts were not zoned...

Post Likes
    Thanks beenthere...I knew about carrier/bryant and AS/trane situation. Its why I thought it interesting that the bryant heat pump mentions inverter tech and the carrier heat pump doesn't. I'm thinking that the top heat pump for all 4 companies use inverter tech...just that only bryant mentions it?
    Unless they proposed a low model carrier, it uses the same inverter as the Bryant. it comes off the same assembly line.

Same with Trane. Unless your looking at the XL20i, which is 2 stage, not modulating.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    ty for the quick reply...the units i'm looking at are all modulating afaik from reading the sites.

Post Likes
    for Phil

What is location?

What is fossil fuel- propane or nat gas?

What is electric rate? What is fossil fuel cost-nat gas cost/therm or propane cost/gal?

Post back.

Post Likes
    Will be using 3 sets of threse for my house...a 5ton, 3ton and 2 ton. Ducts were not zoned...
    How did you comeup with needing 10 tons in your house?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    How did you comeup with needing 10 tons in your house?
    I agree it sounds like an awful lot of capacity. It's not as big an issue with modulating/inverter systems, as long as the duct is sized accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast