Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Will the probes for the SDP2 be individually replaceable?
    Yes they are. And that puppy is very quick reacting too.

If I remember correctly its just the tips and not the whole wand that gets replaced.

I have to say that some of the FP equipment has been catching my eye, and to be perfectly honest, there are two reasons:

The modular system.

Price.

The ability to add functionality for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a full-priced meter is VERY attractive to me, as is the ability to 'upgrade' if you will, with the addition of the wireless functionality.

So, a tech could start with a basic meter and add on and upgrade to a full-featured system as his finances allow.

I also have some concerns about it.

Price and quality.

In my experience, these are typically pretty closely linked. So, I'm forced to ask the question:

"How can FP keep their prices that much lower than the competition?"

It makes me wonder if corners are being cut in QC or in other places.

I know from reading here that a LOT of guys like their FP meters. I've been a Fluke guy for many and many years and find myself resisting change right now, but temptation is growing with each day.

I'll likely buy a couple FP meters/accessories in the fairly near future despite my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have to say that some of the FP equipment has been catching my eye, and to be perfectly honest, there are two reasons:

The modular system.

Price.

The ability to add functionality for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a full-priced meter is VERY attractive to me, as is the ability to 'upgrade' if you will, with the addition of the wireless functionality.

So, a tech could start with a basic meter and add on and upgrade to a full-featured system as his finances allow.

Price and quality.

In my experience, these are typically pretty closely linked. So, I'm forced to ask the question:

I know from reading here that a LOT of guys like their FP meters. I've been a Fluke guy for many and many years and find myself resisting change right now, but temptation is growing with each day.

I'll likely buy a couple FP meters/accessories in the fairly near future despite my concerns.
    Start with one of these....http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fi...FQzqnAodf1YAIw

I've tried the heads, I'm not 100% convinced either, BUT, I love the 56. for the price, it's accurate, it does what i need, and it's durable. I also have some other FP gear....no complaints on it, but I'm just doing field service and some install. If I were doing commissioning on some MAJOR equipment/systems, I'd be investing in some high dollar gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I have an hs36 with a few attachment heads and they hold up like a champ. I'm not sold on the whole wireless deal though because I can write down my readings just as easily and I don't know of any customer that would care to look at a printout of all the measurements because they wouldn't know what it meant anyway.
    this is going to become a more important issue in the future. Customers are not only becoming more educated, they are also becoming more inclined to want proof of positive change after maint. work. This feature of a printout of changes not only proves there was REAL work done, it proves the tech. did the work, AND serves to cover the tech's back side in the event of a complaint. Or, on the flipside, proves there is a problem that needs to be repaired.......this could help sell some work for the tech. with the attitude to make it happen.

gotta look at it from ALL possible sides!

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

The modular system.

Price.

Price and quality.

Therein lies the rub.

There are some things like air density compensation and other things that are not present in FP air measuring instruments that are present in the Testo air flow meters.

FP is great for what I do in residential. If i was doing TAB...well...I'd still have FP air flow instruments but I would be heavily invested in Testo also.

Jim Bergmann's video on the STA 2 might be helpful on putting your cost vs quality concerns to rest. In the video he focuses on the some of the ways the STA 2 can be accurate and affordable. I THINK he makes comparisons to Testo.

Nice vid Russel. Thanks for sharing. Can you input data into the HG3 manually for system analysis? I am thinking of buying but can not afford the whole lot yet. Thought I would start with the HG3 and see how the analysis works and if me likey I will buy more as my funds(and wife) allow.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Nice vid Russel. Thanks for sharing. Can you input data into the HG3 manually for system analysis? I am thinking of buying but can not afford the whole lot yet. Thought I would start with the HG3 and see how the analysis works and if me likey I will buy more as my funds(and wife) allow.
    Yes you will be able to INPUT some data manually while wirelessly receiving other data.

Two questions for Russell:

1. Is there an option to input airflow so the HG3 can calculate BTU output? Similar to the Testo 435.

2. What options are there to print results? Do you have to have the software loaded on a PC/Laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Two questions for Russell:

1. Is there an option to input airflow so the HG3 can calculate BTU output? Similar to the Testo 435.

2. What options are there to print results? Do you have to have the software loaded on a PC/Laptop?
    Yes you can calculate cfm off the FP vane anemometer.

You can down load the results to a widows program for printing. Don't think it will do the btu out put for you, though. Unless there was something I missed using mine.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Yes you can calculate cfm off the FP vane anemometer.

You can down load the results to a widows program for printing. Don't think it will do the btu out put for you, though. Unless there was something I missed using mine.
    To clarify, can you program in duct dimensions into the HG3 and it will average and display the CFM?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    To clarify, can you program in duct dimensions into the HG3 and it will average and display the CFM?
    With the AAT3 hot wire anemometer head, yes.
    http://fieldpiece.com/accessory-heads/aat3
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    With the AAT3 hot wire anemometer head, yes.
    http://fieldpiece.com/accessory-heads/aat3
    Yes you can.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

If the HG3 gave me actual BTU output, I would buy it right now!

It's kinda a bummer that it doesn't have to that option. Maybe soon...*Hint, Hint*

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast