Question Annual Furnace Servicing and white dust - What should be done?

My furnace is turning one year old and it's time to have the annual service done on it, an American Standard AUY060 condensing unit with an ECM motor.

My original installer is scheduled to install the Radio Noise Shield Kit to stop the excessive interference the inducer motor produces as well.

I have noticed white dust on the bottom of the cabinet underneath the inducer fan and condensate trap area, which suggests to me that there may be a small leak, any thoughts?

I'm curious what I should ask them to have done. I haven't been overly expressed with this dealer's expertise although they are responsible for the warranty and I'm happy to give them another chance. If you were having your equipment serviced or preventative maintenance done, what would you ask to ensure a proper job is done?

Thanks!

You're right in your assumptions about the white powder. There should be no leaks and no indications that there have been. Bring this to the attention of the person doing the service work.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Sounds like drywall dust. If it was running under construction it will blow out the condensate holes before they hook up the drain. Needs thorough cleaning if it turns out it is drywall dust.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Sounds like drywall dust. If it was running under construction it will blow out the condensate holes before they hook up the drain. Needs thorough cleaning if it turns out it is drywall dust.

Actually, I don't think it's dry wall dust. (The house was built 40 years ago with plaster and the air is fine.) The white dust appears underneath the inducer fan and condensate trap area only. I'll mention it to the techs and pray they know how to track it down.

Just so I know what questions to ask them, What should the annual servicing on these Am Std condensing furnaces entail? Cleaning the burners? Checking the air flow/static pressure and temperatures?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    Actually, I don't think it's dry wall dust. (The house was built 40 years ago with plaster and the air is fine.) The white dust appears underneath the inducer fan and condensate trap area only. I'll mention it to the techs and pray they know how to track it down.

Just so I know what questions to ask them, What should the annual servicing on these Am Std condensing furnaces entail? Cleaning the burners? Checking the air flow/static pressure and temperatures?

Thanks!
    Cleaning the burners? Checking the air flow/static pressure and temperatures?
    Among many other things...

On an annual service, make sure they test all the safety's. They need to clean the burners, check the gas pressure, check for carbon monoxide, inspect the drain pan and condensate line, inspect the fan blade for any dirt that may need cleaned, check all electrical connections and make sure they are clean and tight and verify proper operating voltage and amperages.

Definitly a leak in the inducer motor housing or tube connections. Is there any residue on top of the furnace where the pvc enters?
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    Definitly a leak in the inducer motor housing or tube connections. Is there any residue on top of the furnace where the pvc enters?
    I didn't notice any residue on top of the furnace, but I'll check. Thanks for the tips! The dealer is due here early tomorrow morning so I appreciate all the advice!

(Past experience has shown that if I don't ask about gas pressures, etc. they will not check them and still act like I'm an idiot for asking...

Hmm White dust indicator of condensation of return air???

The installing company's tech was out today to look at the American Standard AUY condensing furnace. He stated that the dust and evidence of liquid drops under the condensate trap area was merely air condensing on the outside of the trap area. He said that when there is water there, it attracts the normal dust in the air that makes it past the filter. (Hmmm, dust on my air filter is usually brownish, not whitish.)

That makes no sense to me. How would air in the lower unit of the furnace cause any dripping if it touched the outside of the trap or inducer fan? Those items would be *warmer* than the return air, I'd imagine, and condensation doesn't occur when air touches something warmer.

He stated that he tested the gas pressure, but I didn't see any numbers.

He stated that he could not check static pressure (I had asked because I'm curious if a 3M filter does provide enough airflow), but he stated that he could not check static pressure and it required very specialized, expensive equipment. Hmmm.

Beyond that he looked at the burner area (clean and burning ok) and checked for carbon monoxide outside of the unit by the PVC exhaust outlet pipe.