Condensate Drain Question

I had some recent work performed on my TraneXB90 and the contractor pointed out that the plug for the secondary condensate drain on the Comfort Coil should be removed. He took the plug out and piped it to the pan. Tonight I walked into the mechanical room and discovered the pan was completely full of water. Water is slowly leaking out of the plug he removed.

In addition, I pulled the manual of the Comfort Coil and it appears that he actually unplugged the primary so my primary is going to the pan and the secondary is piped away. It appears the original installer was using the secondary and left the primary plugged.

So my question is, should I have him plug this back up or would simply swapping the primary and secondary resolve the problem. Is there an actual difference between the primary and secondary or are they in parallel.

Picture - Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  53.8 KB

Thank you !!

The picture appears to verify what you have found, have him come back and swap them, don't just plug it up

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    The picture appears to verify what you have found, have him come back and swap them, don't just plug it up
    x2

Leaving the secondary drain outlet plugged is a common practice which installers should be slapped up side the head for doing.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thank you for responding. So I understand, the "primary" takes priority internally so flipping them should resolve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by creek81 View Post
    Thank you for responding. So I understand, the "primary" takes priority internally so flipping them should resolve the problem?
    Yes, the primary outlet should be hooked to the primary drain. Water has to be at a higher level in the internal drain pan before it will come out the secondary drain outlet.

My personal preference on the secondary drain is to pipe it out and tee it into the drain line for the emergency drain pan under the unit, to prevent rusting of the emergency drain pan, but just elbowing down into the pan is considered acceptable.
    Depending on how restrictive your duct system is, and the humidity conditions, you may occasionally get some water out of the secondary drain though, especially with an unvented trap like is on your primary drain.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.