Thread: steam kettle

steam kettle

Hi

I have a question on how much water to add to a steam kettle. md # tdh/40-sp

Thanks Ron

I have a question on how much water to add to a steam kettle md #tdh/40-sp Groen. Also how much water should show in the sight glass?

Thanks

The water level in the steam jacket should be at the middle of the sight glass.

Of course, after adding water, burp the jacket to remove the air. Otherwise, the kettle won't heat correctly and the pressure of the trapped air will blow the pressure safety relief valve - thus blasting out the water that was so troublesome to add.

If you did that correctly and there are no other issues, then the kettle should be able to remain in a vacuum indefinitely each time it's been off and cool (such as overnight - or a week, etc.).

So, in the morning when you first arrive and the kettle is stone cold, check the kettle's pressure gage before turning it on. If the pressure gage isn't showing a vacuum (in the green) and is pointing at zero instead, then there's other issues that's allowing air to seep in. Turning it on and operating from that state will cause the safety valve to blow off once it's heated to a cooking temp (when the jacket is pressurized). If this is the case, then the kettle needs repairs. Otherwise, you will be adding water it again and again.

steam kettle

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    The water level in the steam jacket should be at the middle of the sight glass.

Of course, after adding water, burp the jacket to remove the air. Otherwise, the kettle won't heat correctly and the pressure of the trapped air will blow the pressure safety relief valve - thus blasting out the water that was so troublesome to add.

If you did that correctly and there are no other issues, then the kettle should be able to remain in a vacuum indefinitely each time it's been off and cool (such as overnight - or a week, etc.).

So, in the morning when you first arrive and the kettle is stone cold, check the kettle's pressure gage before turning it on. If the pressure gage isn't showing a vacuum (in the green) and is pointing at zero instead, then there's other issues that's allowing air to seep in. Turning it on and operating from that state will cause the safety valve to blow off once it's heated to a cooking temp (when the jacket is pressurized). If this is the case, then the kettle needs repairs. Otherwise, you will be adding water it again and again.
    How do you get a vacuum in the steam kettle ? It had a vacuum until I pulled the relief valve. Also how do you burp it.

Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by 70Vette View Post
    How do you get a vacuum in the steam kettle ? It had a vacuum until I pulled the relief valve. Also how do you burp it.Thanks Ron
    From the TDH-40 operator's manual:1. Jacket Vacuum/Removing Air From Jacket(By Operator)Every day, while the kettle is cold, read thepressure/ vacuum gauge. A positive reading ora negative reading between zero and 20"vacuum on the pressure/ vacuum gaugeindicates excess air in the jacket. Air in thejacket slows kettle heating and can prevent thekettle from reaching operating temperature. Toremove air:a. Start the kettle.b. Make sure the elbow on the outlet of thepressure relief valve is turned so thatescaping steam is directed down toward thefloor (see photo on page 7).c. When the pressure/vacuum gauge reachesa positive pressure reading of 5 PSI,release trapped air by lifting the pressurerelief valve ring for about one second.Repeat this step, then let the valve ringsnap closed, so the valve will seat properlyand not leak.

I failed to mention - you should only add DISTILLED water to the jacket, NOT tap water. Tap water has impurities that shouldn't be inside the jacket and may shorten the lifespan of your kettle.

To get a copy of your owner's manual, I suggest partstown.com.

steam kettle

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    From the TDH-40 operator's manual:1. Jacket Vacuum/Removing Air From Jacket(By Operator)Every day, while the kettle is cold, read thepressure/ vacuum gauge. A positive reading ora negative reading between zero and 20"vacuum on the pressure/ vacuum gaugeindicates excess air in the jacket. Air in thejacket slows kettle heating and can prevent thekettle from reaching operating temperature. Toremove air:a. Start the kettle.b. Make sure the elbow on the outlet of thepressure relief valve is turned so thatescaping steam is directed down toward thefloor (see photo on page 7).c. When the pressure/vacuum gauge reachesa positive pressure reading of 5 PSI,release trapped air by lifting the pressurerelief valve ring for about one second.Repeat this step, then let the valve ringsnap closed, so the valve will seat properlyand not leak.
    Thanks We do not have a manual for this unit. I will try this Thanks again