HVAC Student from the hot state of FL

Hello there!

I just started HVAC school a few months ago and I'm looking forward to starting work in the trade. So hello to ALL!

Hello hope your schooling is going well. I'm in HVAC service/sales in Indiana. I am actually looking at moving to florida. Where are you located?

In the Tampa Bay area

Quote Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
    In the Tampa Bay area
    Really? That's where I've been thinking of moving. Ive been doing this for ten years and make decent money but Indiana kinda sucks. Brutal winters and theres a lot of competition in this town. Its a college town. Are there a lot of companies in the treasure island area?

I know in this area there's a lot of work because of the Humidity/Heat levels during the summer. But I also see a lot of competition out there. Just about every other work van I see is another A/C place.

And from what I've seen, it's getting even more crowded. For instance, usually the class I'm in has about 10 -15 people enroll a semeseter. And anywhere between 30 - 40 guys in class at any given time. We are now up to 90 guys. So I'd keep that in mind

Otherwise it's a great place to live!

Yeah that's how it is here too. HVAC places popping up left and right. Guess its good and bad. My wife and I have decided that we would like to raise my son near the ocean. I got a friend in the Okeechobee area and he says its not as saturated there. Think I'm going to come down in a few months and check out some areas. I'll just go to work for a company for a few years. Too hard to go to a new area and start a company. Are you learning a lot in your training? I remember years ago when I did it here it was hard because we didn't do much hands on. When I got out in the field I realized that I didn't know squat. Hopefully your school is better!

So far so good. We do some hands on going through the syllabus, but for the most part the teachers encourage us to practice on the school's equipment(provided we have an idea of what we're doing). One of the instructors also told a few of us, he'd be willing to put faults in systems for us to figure out.

That's good. I sometimes do that to techs before we hire them. Unhook a wire, trip a safety ,etc. Hands on is the way to learn