Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Article: Over 125 CO2 supermarkets in North America, with many more plan

I love this Stuff!

Take a Peek at this Link! Are there many on here with CO2 Systems Exposure?
    Lets wait till the small CO2 Stuff comes! That will be fun too!

Mike

Over 125 CO2 supermarkets in North America, with many more planned

Unique to shecco’s newly released “GUIDE 2013: Natural Refrigerants - Market Growth for North America" are the first CO2 supermarket maps for Canada and the US, which pinpoint the number of CO2 supermarket installations by Province and State. The maps reveal over 125 secondary, cascade and transcritical installations, with many more planned.

Number of CO2 supermarkets in the US

Since the US EPA approved the use of CO2 in food retail refrigeration and cold storage warehouses US food retailers began making significant investments in CO2 refrigeration. Retailers that opted for CO2 include the Sprouts Farmers Market Westlake village store, which employs a CO2 cascade system for both low temperature and medium temperature applications. Shoprite, a small independent retailer, has a store in the Hatfield Pointe shopping Center in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, that combines a medium temperature secondary coolant system using glycol and a low temperature direct expansion cascade system using CO2 as a refrigerant.

Results in the “GUIDE” CO2 supermarket map for the United States:
    • CO2 transcritical installations: 2 planned installations for 2013 **This needs to be higher!!!**
    • CO2 cascade installations: 20 completed installations or purchase orders made in 2012
    • CO2 secondary installations: 55 completed installations or purchase orders made in 2012, and 25 planned installations for 2013.

In the US the voluntary GreenChill partnership, an initiative of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), is helping to spur the switch to natural refrigerants and CO2 refrigeration. Aimed at reducing refrigerant emissions from supermarkets and decreasing the impact of supermarket refrigeration on the ozone layer and climate change, GreenChill represents more than 8000 supermarkets in all 50 states and Washington, DC.

For example, SUPERVALU’s Carpinteria store in California was named ‘Best of the Best’ at the GreenChill ‘2012 Environmental Achievement Awards’. With GreenChill platinum-level store certification, this is the first US supermarket store with only natural refrigeration systems, including CO2, ammonia and hydrocarbons, installed throughout.

Number of CO2 supermarkets in Canada

Canada leads the way when it comes to implementing CO2 refrigeration systems in North America. According to the “GUIDE”, over 65 food retail stores use, or have made a purchase order, for CO2 secondary, cascade, and transcritical refrigeration systems. CO2 transcritical in particular, is rapidly becoming an established industry standard. For example, retailer Sobey’s has already installed 36 CO2 transcritical systems and 22 more have been approved for 2013. At the end of last year, Overwaitea Food Group (OFG) made a widely reported investment in a CO2 transcritical booster system at their Urban Fare Express store.

Results in the “GUIDE” CO2 supermarket map for Canada:
    • CO2 transcritical installations: 37 completed installations or purchase orders made in 2012, and 24 planned installations for 2013.
    • CO2 cascade installations: 10 completed installations or purchase orders made in 2012.
    • CO2 secondary installations: 3 completed installations or purchase orders made in 2012,

Several regional initiatives have helped to incentivise investment in CO2 refrigeration in Canada, by offering rebates and financing to offset the cost of new, energy efficient commercial refrigeration installations. These initiatives include the refrigeration optimisation programme (OPTER) administered by Québec’s Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife, the power sense programmes in British Columbia, the Manitoba Commercial Refrigeration Program; and efficiency Nova Scotia. OPTER is perhaps one of the most influential of these, encouraging large refrigeration system owners to make the switch to the more environmentally friendly types of systems that are available today

Found Article Here on the R744.com Website
    http://beta.r744.com/news/view/4052
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

I am building a trans-critical store in my home town and will be firing it up in 1 month. Should be interesting. 8 heat reclaim zones running off the rack adding up to 3000 ft of stainless 1" tubing. (Gas cooler on the roof is 2" s.s., all refrigeration piping is 5/8" type L ACR.) Total charge should be around 1200 lbs of CO2. We also have 151 Sporlan case controllers with 151 transducers and at least 300 temp probes running EEVs on a Microthermo setup. Now that really scares me.

I'd love to see pics of that one mspanky!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Most of my photo library is of the building itself and not much different than any other store, but I'm working tomorrow and will take pictures of the racks and piping now that most of the stainless is fit up. (orbital welding to begin this Monday)

Top of sub-critical dual temp rack:

Name:  IMG_1106 Resized.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  45.8 KB

Top of transcritical and heat reclaim rack:

Name:  IMG_1107 Resized.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  47.0 KB

Stainless steel 'V' slab gas cooler:

Name:  IMG_1137 Resized.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  35.5 KB

Bending the 0.120 wall 316L stainless 2" OD tubing to the gas cooler:

Name:  IMG_1141 Resized.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  40.3 KB

In regards to the original post, transcritical consumes more power in areas too warm for snow so they will not be as attractive in the US as they are in Canada.

Cool stuff.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

We just started our first secondary co2 store it will be online this fall.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    Most of my photo library is of the building itself and not much different than any other store, but I'm working tomorrow and will take pictures of the racks and piping now that most of the stainless is fit up. (orbital welding to begin this Monday)
    Are you doing the welding? Those welders are slick.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I will see one with in the year. Looking forward to it. I have heard some horror stories, but I think the stories were dramatized only because it's CO'2. What start up isn't a crazy few weeks. Then add this new thing.

I've seen the equipment during a training course, but haven't had a chance to get hands on with it.

I have heard so many misconceptions, gripes, grumbles and b***hes about the coming switch to CO2 that I find it funny.

Just another refrigerant gas, just heat transfer. It's not rocket science.

We are hiring an operator for the orbital welder. No way I'm going be responsible for any failures at 1200 psi.

Cool GOtta love this stuff!!!

We also have 151 Sporlan case controllers with 151 transducers and at least 300 temp probes running EEVs on a Microthermo setup. Now that really scares me.
    Curious, what are the sporlan case controllers?, are they tied in to the micro thermo system or are they the Sporlan "kelvin" style EEV controllers, or are you running Micro thermo EEV Controllers only?

In regards to the original post, transcritical consumes more power in areas too warm for snow so they will not be as attractive in the US as they are in Canada.
    True, but the Northern US states population would still be greater than all of canada so there should be a lot of movement in the northern US states, if that happens and it catches on the technology will blossom better and become more mainstream and for lack of a better word, cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    We just started our first secondary co2 store it will be online this fall.
    Thats awesome, is the secondary CO2 loop only for low temp or are you doing Medium temp CO2 secondary as well? [MT secondary CO2 can be tricky!]
    Do you know what you are using for a controller as of yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I will see one with in the year. Looking forward to it. I have heard some horror stories, but I think the stories were dramatized only because it's CO'2. What start up isn't a crazy few weeks. Then add this new thing.
    you mean something like having an un controlled shut down and having the system partially stop and have the reliefs blow off on the compressors in the machine room during construction with 40/50 trade guys in the area when people are frekin and the frige guys are smiling and trying to make somehinng work in between relief valve blow-offs ?? hahah yeat there are a few crazy stories out there i'm sure haha

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have heard so many misconceptions, gripes, grumbles and b***hes about the coming switch to CO2 that I find it funny.

Just another refrigerant gas, just heat transfer. It's not rocket science
    +1, I say the exact same thing, so true

-Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast