Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outside Unit Turns On/Off Repeatedly Every Few Seconds???

is this normal? the weather outside is 63, the inside temp is just above 73 and the system is trying to cool to below 72. i have one of those Nest thermostats, and a Comfortmaker 14 seer unit.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfinOneill73 View Post
    is this normal?
    No. Turn it off and call someone or you'll be spending more money than you need to fix that thing.

sounds like a low pressure switch opening could be
    low on refrigerant . or could be caused by the indoor and outdoor temps .it would be a good time to call your service company and set up a spring check
    We really need change now

the unit is only 8 months old. i'll keep an eye on it today since its warmer out side and see if it still does it. i thought maybe it was because the temp outside was colder than indoors and the system was trying to cool the house

the unit is only 8 months old. i'll keep an eye on it today since its warmer out side and see if it still does it. i thought maybe it was because the temp outside was colder than indoors and the system was trying to cool the house
    Shut it off and call a service technician.

Nope. It still shouldn't do that even if it was 20F outside and 80F indoors. Which isn;t uncommon in a commercial application with a low ambient kit. 63F isn't low ambient conditions. It has to be under 50F for that.

Call in a service tech, especially if it's 8 mo old. Should be under the warranty of whoever installed it.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-16-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

jerryedw, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

it seemed to only shut on/off when it was below 70 degrees outside, but operated normally during the day. this past weekend i noticed the a/c was not cooling down to the temperature it was set at. i went into the attic just to see if something stood out; low and behold the insulated refrigerant line was leaking very slowly. the a/c installers came out and found a pinhole in one of the soldered connections, so he resoldered all the connections and got it back up and running for us!

thankfully this was caught before the temps got in the upper 90s and 100s! and before the 1 year service warranty was up!

Hmm. a new system with a leak, was the charge pulled, and a new drier installed? a leak large enough to cycle the pressure switches, likely allowed moisture into the lines, and should be evacuated and a new drier installed.
    how long were they out there repairing the leak?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

they evacuated the lines to start, but i didn't notice them install anything new. we have a very dry climate here, if that makes a difference. he did say he had to add about 1 lb of R-410a to the system.

they evacuated the lines to start, but i didn't notice them install anything new. we have a very dry climate here, if that makes a difference. he did say he had to add about 1 lb of R-410a to the system.
    Obviously he had to add more than 1 pound if the system was evacuated. The filter dryer is a canister looking device installed somewhere in the small copper line between the indoor and outdoor unit.

Adding only one pound of refrigerant doesn't jive with the storyline unless only the lineset and indoor unit were evacuated and even then more than 1 pound additional charge would have been necessary. I don't think we are getting all the facts here.

The proper procedure for a leak repair is to replace the filter dryer, completely evacuate the whole system and recharge with new refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    Obviously he had to add more than 1 pound if the system was evacuated. The filter dryer is a canister looking device installed somewhere in the small copper line between the indoor and outdoor unit.

Adding only one pound of refrigerant doesn't jive with the storyline unless only the lineset and indoor unit were evacuated and even then more than 1 pound additional charge would have been necessary. I don't think we are getting all the facts here.

The proper procedure for a leak repair is to replace the filter dryer, completely evacuate the whole system and recharge with new refrigerant.
    1 lb net added. total added minus total evacuated equaled 1 pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast