Blower Motor Problem?

Hi all. I have an A/C unit that seems to work fine when initially turned on, but after a few hours of continuous use (I would say about 5 or 6, the blower will turn off, while the outside unit stays on (to clarify, this happens when, according to the thermostat, it should still be on).

If I turn the whole thing off and then turn it back on within the next few minutes, the blower does not turn on. If; however, I give it a rest of 30 to 60 minutes, it turns back on as normal.

I know nothing about A/C, but my thought was that the motor on the blower is overheating and shutting itself off. Is this the probably cause? Is there a chance that it is a thermostat problem?

Thanks all.

check the air filter

Thanks for the reply. We replaced the filter a few months ago. I just went to check it and it looks very clean (suspiciously clean?).

Make sure you are not using a 1" thick pleated air filter! If you are, throw it away, and put in a simple and cheap filter (NOT PLEATED). See if this helps.

Sounds like the motor bearings are worn, or the Capacitor is going bad.

Time to call in a profesional.

I allways tell my customers to change the air filter the 1st day of each month and only use the 50 cent filters from the hardware (less restriction and there not hard to throw away) even had some who vacuumed the 3m filters to save a buck

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-19-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Non AOP Pro Member

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    I allways tell my customers to change the air filter the 1st day of each month and only use the 50 cent filters from the hardware (less restriction and there not hard to throw away) even had some who vacuumed the 3m filters to save a buck
    We go the cheap filter route, and try to replace often (when we remember). Since my last post, I remembered that we replaced over the President's Day weekend, so it has been about 2 months, and, as I said, it looks very clean (we are in the south, and this is our upstairs unit, so there has been very little use over the last two months until we turned on the A/C last week).

Quote Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
    How old is the system.
    About 14 years

Quote Originally Posted by sgraefe View Post
    Sounds like the motor bearings are worn, or the Capacitor is going bad.

Time to call in a profesional.
    That's what it sounds like. Anyone know a good pro in Charlotte, NC? Thanks everyone for the replies.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-19-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Non AOP Pro Member

Your system may actually be freezing up. Once frozen, you won't feel anymore air out of the vents,

It takes several hours for a coil to completely freeze up. Then once the system is off and thawed, you will feel air once again.

A number of things can cause an evaporator to freeze.

Regardless - you need a professional to come take a look. This is not a DIY site.