Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: vacuum hose

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It's a $20 investment in a quality tool.

If you're concerned over the quality of the hose or the brass, buy the ones that you are comfortable with.

That said, YJ hoses are the only type of hose that I've ever had fail on me in use. I have had 2 of them swell, rupture and spray refrigerant while charging. A 1/4" and a 3/8" hose.
    Could just be statistics, I don't know about you but the majority of manifolds and hoses I've ever owned have been yellow jacket probably 3:1 yjthers

I'd add to this to keep those hoses clean. Oil residue inside your hoses can affect evacuation as well, something that I've learned the hard way.

Now, I've got a set of hoses that I have dedicated to evacuation and they do nothing else.

The rest of my 3/8" hoses are dedicated to charging and refrigerant transfer.
    I know what you mean...my pump allows oil back up into my Appion 1/2" hoses.
    Either my blank off is screwed or the check valve gasket is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post

I know what you mean...my pump allows oil back up into my Appion 1/2" hoses.
    Either my blank off is screwed or the check valve gasket is shot.
    Well, that wasn't exactly what I was referring to, but important nonetheless.

Working on large equipment with large charges, using 3/8" hoses to charge, recover and transfer refrigerant is common and smart practice.

It is also a good way to contaminate a good evacuation hose with oil.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    did you know that non-rated vacuum hoses are mfg'd with tiny pin holes in them? You ain't gonna get a good vacuum and dehydrate the system if your sucking minute quantities of air thru these pin holes.

check out the YJ catalog ....they detail hose construction. That is what the terms preamble and non-preamble refer to. Or do a Google search.

I completely understand and agree.....BUT....My vacuum gauge isn't connected to the hoses when checking the system.....so their leak rate is a non issue.

I've never had a problem pulling below 500microns with my standard hoses unless there's a leak, moisture, refrigerant trapped in oil somewhere, or my pump oil needs changed. Granted, I'm working on 50Ton or less systems.....If I were doing multi-hundred ton systems, I'd have 1/2" hoses, and a larger pump!.....oh, and i'd be making more money!!

[QUOTE=jnsrose;15526681]
    I'd add to this to keep those hoses clean. Oil residue inside your hoses can affect evacuation as well, something that I've learned the hard way.

Now, I've got a set of hoses that I have dedicated to evacuation and they do nothing else.

The rest of my 3/8" hoses are dedicated to charging and refrigerant transfer.[/

I also have 3/8" hoses dedicated to evacuation. Thinking about the 1/2" but really haven't done anything that big in a few months. Still trying to convince some guys on the new and improved evacuation procedures I have learned over the years from this site.
    I have found that most hose contamination with pump oil is due to overfilling the pump. Make sure that the oil level is at the right level with the pump running. Also using an evacuation tree such as the Yellow Jacket 93850 manifold insures that the vacuum hoses are well above the pump inlet which should keep the oil out of the hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by gymguy View Post

I have found that most hose contamination with pump oil is due to overfilling the pump. Make sure that the oil level is at the right level with the pump running. Also using an evacuation tree such as the Yellow Jacket 93850 manifold insures that the vacuum hoses are well above the pump inlet which should keep the oil out of the hoses.
    It can also be the result of transferring large quantities of oil-laden refrigerant.

Of course, this isn't common in the residential/light commercial sector of our industry, but I do it quite frequently.

The rest of my 3/8" hoses are dedicated to charging and refrigerant transfer.
    I have done the same thing. I have 2 3/8 hoses I use for vacuum, then one for charging and recovery.

do the 3/8 hoses speed up recovery That much?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Absolutely. You need all the help you can get when you are pulling hundreds of pounds out of something.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1104411

Have a look for yourself.

Now, admittedly, he's using 1/2" hoses, here, but there have been guys who posted comparisons between 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" hoses and it really is surprising how much faster the larger hoses pull.

I won't evacuate with less than a 3/8" hose or three connected.

It can also be the result of transferring large quantities of oil-laden refrigerant.

Of course, this isn't common in the residential/light commercial sector of our industry, but I do it quite frequently.
    Good point. That is why I reserve my high vacuum rated hoses for evacuation only.

I recently purchased two NRP 1/2" heavy duty hoses. They have a 1/4 on one end and 3/8 on the other. They don't come with shraeder valve depressors. I put a brass tee with two 3/8 male flare fittings and a 1/2" male pipe thread going into my 8 cfm Yellow Jacket vacuum pump. I tried to eliminate as many possible leaking points as possible. I also purchased two Appion valve core removal tools. I intend to connect my vaccum guage to one of them. I haven't tried it out in this configuration yet but I think it will work well.

I think the mastercool is a cheaper made product. I was just looking at the mastercool manifold and hoses at winair and I won't go with anything but yj. Everything I have in my cabinet is YJ. I do have a mastercool valve core remover and it works fine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast