Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: vacuum hose

vacuum hose

Are mastercool hoses, specifically the 3/8 vacuum hoses worth a crap or should i spent the extra $20 on appion or yellow jacket?
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

I have read that all vacuum rated hose come from one source .

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I have read that all vacuum rated hose come from one source .
    I know tge hoses do but the brass fittings don't, I know I trust yj and nrp's brass but I dont think I've ever had anything mastercool, it sounds cheap lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I know tge hoses do but the brass fittings don't, I know I trust yj and nrp's brass but I dont think I've ever had anything mastercool, it sounds cheap lol.
    It's a $20 investment in a quality tool.

If you're concerned over the quality of the hose or the brass, buy the ones that you are comfortable with.

That said, YJ hoses are the only type of hose that I've ever had fail on me in use. I have had 2 of them swell, rupture and spray refrigerant while charging. A 1/4" and a 3/8" hose.

I don't see the big deal in vacuum hoses. If i wanted a faster vacuum, I'd buy larger diameter hoses, but i don't care if they are vacuum rated, since I'm valving off the system from the hoses and pump to check microns anyway.

and...if your pump can't overcome the "hose loss" to get under 500, you've got other issues anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I don't see the big deal in vacuum hoses. If i wanted a faster vacuum, I'd buy larger diameter hoses, but i don't care if they are vacuum rated, since I'm valving off the system from the hoses and pump to check microns anyway.

and...if your pump can't overcome the "hose loss" to get under 500, you've got other issues anyway.
    did you know that non-rated vacuum hoses are mfg'd with tiny pin holes in them? You ain't gonna get a good vacuum and dehydrate the system if your sucking minute quantities of air thru these pin holes.

check out the YJ catalog ....they detail hose construction. That is what the terms preamble and non-preamble refer to. Or do a Google search.

did you know that non-rated vacuum hoses are mfg'd with tiny pin holes in them? You ain't gonna get a good vacuum and dehydrate the system if your sucking minute quantities of air thru these pin holes.

check out the YJ catalog ....they detail hose construction. That is what the terms preamble and non-preamble refer to. Or do a Google search.

I don't think that your phrasing is entirely accurate.

While what you're saying is somewhat true, they aren't exactly "manufactured with pin holes in them" it is just a property of the material. It is more porous than proper, vacuum rated hoses.

That said, even the heavy, vacuum rated hoses are permeable. Just LESS permeable than the non vacuum rated hoses.

If you truly want a non-permeable "hose", use copper.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post

A very good thought. I remember when, oh I won't go there. My question if it takes an extra 20 minutes to pump down a system, and you are getting paid by the hour, what is the big deal. That being said I have a 10 cfm pump, (you need to use the gas ballast valve with that one, and 3/8 hoses and I use the "yellow" BluVac.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Are mastercool hoses, specifically the 3/8 vacuum hoses worth a crap or should i spent the extra $20 on appion or yellow jacket?
    When R134A first came out, I bought a set of gauges from NAPA, they were the only ones who had the automotive connecters around here. I still have them and use them, probably not more than 30 times. Still and all they are not the best. On the other hand the hydraulic swage tool that they make is great. BTY you need a special certification to charge automotive. It is available from MACS, or it was the last time I checked.

I have never used anything but yellow jacket guages well worth the money all equipment can fail at one time or another but the yellow jackets have always been reliable for me

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I don't think that your phrasing is entirely accurate.

While what you're saying is somewhat true, they aren't exactly "manufactured with pin holes in them" it is just a property of the material. It is more porous than proper, vacuum rated hoses.

That said, even the heavy, vacuum rated hoses are permeable. Just LESS permeable than the non vacuum rated hoses.

If you truly want a non-permeable "hose", use copper.
    Yes. Thanks for cleaning up that wording. It was late when I posted that and I was exhausted but could not sleep.

All hoses do "leak" as you say. It is just that vac hoses do the very least of it.

Copper...yeah ...been around for years but it's hard to work with.

vac hoses

Yes. Thanks for cleaning up that wording. It was late when I posted that and I was exhausted but could not sleep.

All hoses do "leak" as you say. It is just that vac hoses do the very least of it.

Copper...yeah ...been around for years but it's hard to work with.

vac hoses
    I'd add to this to keep those hoses clean. Oil residue inside your hoses can affect evacuation as well, something that I've learned the hard way.

Now, I've got a set of hoses that I have dedicated to evacuation and they do nothing else.

The rest of my 3/8" hoses are dedicated to charging and refrigerant transfer.

[QUOTE=jpsmith1cm;15525211]I'd add to this to keep those hoses clean. Oil residue inside your hoses can affect evacuation as well, something that I've learned the hard way.

Now, I've got a set of hoses that I have dedicated to evacuation and they do nothing else.

The rest of my 3/8" hoses are dedicated to charging and refrigerant transfer.[/

I also have 3/8" hoses dedicated to evacuation. Thinking about the 1/2" but really haven't done anything that big in a few months. Still trying to convince some guys on the new and improved evacuation procedures I have learned over the years from this site.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast