Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox G12 series ignition problem

I have a Lennox G12 series furnace that seems to be having an ignition problem. Periodically when the furnace ignites a flame forms at the oriface inside the burner. A little history is in order.
    Initially I was having this problem with on specific burner. HVAC guys have been out three times. They have check the burners, orifices, pressures ect. and thoughly cleened the furnace three times. Still this specific burner continued to ignight at the oriface inside the burner about 20% of the time. Two days ago they were out and installed a new burner in this position. Now this burner is working fine but for two days two other burners that had never done this in the past are now doing it about 40% of the time. It is consistantly the last two burners now. The new burner is at the number one position from the gas valve position. The furnace was a new install in the house back when and is propane
    I'm in no way a DIYer and have no intention of trying to fix this problem myself but when I called my HVAC guys yesterday to report the problem they seem perplexed and don't seem to know where to go next.

Trooper

i would give an opinion if this was in the pro forum

we just dont want diyers to get hurt!

if i were you i would call a different hvac co.

DRAFT-AIR MIXTURE
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Exclamation

ask the contractor to blow out the gas manifold to remove any debrey, clean the burner assy., check orfice for debrey or burrs and size, adjust pressures iaw mfgs specifications

if your are a DIYer dont mess with it at all because lp (propane) gas is heavyer than air and will settle at the floor just waiting to find an ingition source and blow your a** up. (no joking)
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Thumbs down *

Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post
    ask the contractor to blow out the gas manifold to remove any debrey, clean the burner assy., check orfice for debrey or burrs and size, adjust pressures iaw mfgs specifications

if your are a DIYer dont mess with it at all because lp (propane) gas is heavyer than air and will settle at the floor just waiting to find an ingition source and blow your a** up. (no joking)

if he is a diyer you just gave him his first job!

Do you have the required stainless steel burners for LP because LP is corrosive and will rust shut the ends of the stock Natural Gas burners causing ignition problems after a couple of years or so.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my HVAC guys have done this twice in the last two weeks with no improvement.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not a DIYer.

Just looking for suggestions to pass on to my HVAC guys.

To those who offered suggestions, Thanks. Trooper

If you have a G12, it's at least 20 yrs old buy now or close to it. Just have your service guys order and replace the rest of the burners. They can warp over the years and this causes what you described. Most likely the problem, high probability. If they know what's what, they will verify correct gas pressure and you'll get some more life out of that furnace. But you ought to ask them to estimate an upgrade to higher efficiency before spending a bunch on burners. As I recall, thier kind of spendy.
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Need to replace that pig

Get something energy efficient.

I fought one earlier this year. Ended up replacing it.

IMO just like some have said replace the unit. The cost of service calls over and over again, and new parts being put in just for a few more months of use, in the end I think it would just be cost efficient, if you can afford to do it now to just replace it with a new one.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    would you install a new motor in a rusted out ford pinto?? a g12 is beyond its years and i believe only came with a 10-15 yr warranty depending on if it has an aluminunized heat-x or not.id steer you to new

Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    would you install a new motor in a rusted out ford pinto?? a g12 is beyond its years and i believe only came with a 10-15 yr warranty depending on if it has an aluminunized heat-x or not.id steer you to new
    Sorry ch4man, but we are talking a 71 chevy pickup, not a ford pinto. please don't confuse the two
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    a pick up at least has some redeaming value

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast