Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walk In freezer

I vote for inside the condenser.

Maybe the same guys installed it! Who out here accidentally piped the freezer condensor to the cooler evap and vice versa! Cooler worked great freezer wouoldn't get below 20. Took me a little while to figure it out!!!But, I did!!! It was on a brand new Panda Express in Gilbert, AZ. I wonder who made more money the installers or us!!! My guess it was the installers!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I vote for inside the condenser.
    Or he's working on the wrong unit!!

Clocks can be remote locations. Some new units are supplied separately and can be mounted outside the box and off the roof.

Look above the ceiling tile

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Clocks can be remote locations. Some new units are supplied separately and can be mounted outside the box and off the roof.
    I've personally never seen a hot gas defrost - just heating elements, so I gave some credence to that possibility.

I've found defrost timers on top of walk-ins above dropped ceiling level, remotely located in a mechanical/electrical rooms - or (in one case) mounted outside & exposed to all the elements that weather can dish out, in a setup for which that the factory defrost timer enclosure wasn't designed for.

There's got to be a timer somewhere there or that freezer is actually a cooler instead.

Sounds like your freezer "start-up" inspection should fail the inspection BIG time and the contractor or owner needs to start making some phone calls to whoever they contracted to do the install.

If you're certain of your findings, it's probably time to bill them for your time and be done with it.

Unless, of course, they want to pay your company for a new system and a proper install. Probably not though.

just went to the coss class and they showed us some new refrigeration condensing units that the clock is built into the printed circuit board at condenser. said they've been out 11/2 years. it has to defrost though period.

Lol was sent out to an old hussman 2 door upright freezer bait ago. Originally put in with a hot gas loop for defrost and a couple drain pan heaters tied in. Someone came in prior to the unit bring sold with the building this restraunt chain bought and replaced the condensing unit. Dropped in 404 for the 508 it used, and replaced/rewired the defrost clock and temp controllor. Well somehow they didn't notice they pulled out a hot gas solenoid and wired this thing like it was electric defrost with the comp and fans cut out and only energizing the little drain heaters. Customer had to self defrost this thing like every other day for 2 weeks before they had us come out. And we had to rebuild the hot gas setup and rewire everything. Fun stuff. Another oopsie I'm surprised was made when it should have been obvious this thing was hot gas and not electric.

You're probably on a conversion freezer that was originally a cooler that someone changed application on but forgot the defrost. Lol could happen.

The model numbers of the condensing unit and evaporator would be quite helpful for this discussion, don't you think?

Tough being a rookie.
    Scenario: week prior to doin freezer start up we installed a new evap for walk in cooler, went smooth as it could. Next door to this box was another box , on the phone with my boss the morning of the install he says don't go near the small one its the freezer. First mistake was thinking he knew what he was talking about. So cool " yea I won't touch it " following week. Boss says "that freezer over at the pizza place where we did the install for cooler ,the condensate drain is half inch copper with no heat tape go get a bunch of supplies and redo condensate in 3/4 copper and put in heat tape then insulate line. Again my fault for assuming right off the bat. So I fixed the condensate the restaurant wasn't ready to start the freezer yet so off I went. This week boss calls and tells me to go see what's up with the freezer because owner called an its not working. I get there an the disconnect in crawl space was off, but I hooked up gauges to check pressures and superheat, checked amp draw ect.... So I'm doing my thing and lookin around and realize no time clock on condensing unit where I've
    Almost always seen them. So as I'm doing my thing, boss calls " what did you find over there" I tell him pretty much the disconnect was off and so on, but I never mentioned how I could not find time clock because he says I have another call for you blah blah might be really f....d up might not, but finish up and head right over there so I did.
    That's when I got home and posted the question about time clocks . Because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I also emailed my boss and told him I didn't see clock. Today I get yelled at because the walk in freezer is not a freezer at all . (Hand in shape of gun pointed at head) . I'm definitly to blame but not totally, right? I just feel bad because like I said I'm a rookie so it's easy to get discourage when thing like this happen. So please dont chastise me

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I had to start up an existing walk-in last month. It had been shut down for two years. Maybe this is what he means?
    yes that is what i meant.

Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    Look above the ceiling tile
    i found one here once , about 20 feet from walkin , i wanted to slap the bastid who hid it there

Quote Originally Posted by northeastbeast View Post
    Tough being a rookie.
    Scenario: week prior to doin freezer start up we installed a new evap for walk in cooler, went smooth as it could. Next door to this box was another box , on the phone with my boss the morning of the install he says don't go near the small one its the freezer. First mistake was thinking he knew what he was talking about. So cool " yea I won't touch it " following week. Boss says "that freezer over at the pizza place where we did the install for cooler ,the condensate drain is half inch copper with no heat tape go get a bunch of supplies and redo condensate in 3/4 copper and put in heat tape then insulate line. Again my fault for assuming right off the bat. So I fixed the condensate the restaurant wasn't ready to start the freezer yet so off I went. This week boss calls and tells me to go see what's up with the freezer because owner called an its not working. I get there an the disconnect in crawl space was off, but I hooked up gauges to check pressures and superheat, checked amp draw ect.... So I'm doing my thing and lookin around and realize no time clock on condensing unit where I've
    Almost always seen them. So as I'm doing my thing, boss calls " what did you find over there" I tell him pretty much the disconnect was off and so on, but I never mentioned how I could not find time clock because he says I have another call for you blah blah might be really f....d up might not, but finish up and head right over there so I did.
    That's when I got home and posted the question about time clocks . Because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I also emailed my boss and told him I didn't see clock. Today I get yelled at because the walk in freezer is not a freezer at all . (Hand in shape of gun pointed at head) . I'm definitly to blame but not totally, right? I just feel bad because like I said I'm a rookie so it's easy to get discourage when thing like this happen. So please dont chastise me
    I'll give you the same advice that was given me many, many, many, many, many times

S
    L
    O
    W

D
    O
    W
    N
    !
    !
    !
    !