Humidifier and water output/sump pump

As part of a recent install, we had a humidifer put in. We've never had one before. We have always had a sump pump and it'd probably kick on 2x a day or so for a few seconds. Ever since the humidifier was put in, I've noticed it kicks on every couple of hours or so. So I have to imagine it's connected but wasn't sure.

So my general question is, approx how much water can a humidifier drain? If it helps, we live in the mid-atlantic. Without the humidifier, the household humidity was running about 15-17% in the winter. It's set at 35%. We have gas forced hot air heat. Temps have been in the 30s and 40s....Heat set to 67...

Not sure if all that is helpful or not but wondering if this is normal. Thx!

Depends on model humidifier. 5 plus gallons an hour the humidifier runs.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wow. So in a 24 hour period a humidifier can use 100 gallons of water? Am I understanding that right? Sounds insane so I must be misunderstanding how they work right?

Depends how its wired to run.

Can your only run when the heat is on. or can it run the fan when the humidistat calls for more humidity.
    Contractor locator map

Flow through like most are do send a lot of water down the drain. Have heard comments like yours before.

I have it set to run even if heat not on. But 100 gallons of water a day seems like a tremendous waste of water and a significant cost. I'd rather have a dry house lol.

If it isn't connected to hot water. Then your getting very very little moisture put into the air when the heat isn't on.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If it isn't connected to hot water. Then your getting very very little moisture put into the air when the heat isn't on.
    I have measured humidifiers capacity. Hot water increases the humidifier capacity 30%-50%. I find 2-3 gals down the drain with small humidifiers. Partial closing the needle valve can slow the water flow .5 gal per hour works. Using hot water with 50 gals. down the drain is expensive. Increasing the air flow the humidifier does the most. I suggest a 200 cfm duct fan on a by pass humidifier for real humidification.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    I have measured humidifiers capacity. Hot water increases the humidifier capacity 30%-50%. I find 2-3 gals down the drain with small humidifiers. Partial closing the needle valve can slow the water flow .5 gal per hour works. Using hot water with 50 gals. down the drain is expensive. Increasing the air flow the humidifier does the most. I suggest a 200 cfm duct fan on a by pass humidifier for real humidification.
    Regards TB
    First, thanks for the responses.

It's getting much more technical than I have the ability to grasp. Let me try again, because I'm really just wondering conceptually if this scenario is possible (having never owned a whole house humidifier).

Depending on set up, is it POSSIBLE that a humidifier can use 4-5- gallons of water per hour? Again, I ask because I would never have thought they'd use that much and may reconsider my comfort if the waste is that high. THANKS!

Yep, most flow through use 5 plus gallons an hour of run time.
    Contractor locator map