New HVAC system suggestions

Hi all,

I have a 2400 sq ft, 2 story home that needs a new ac/heat pump system. The old Carrier unit I have installed now has finally died after 16 years. The system I have is a 2 zone, split system with the air handler in the attic. The Carrier Weathermaker control box is installed in the master bedroom closet.

I have been looking at a couple of different systems and do not know which one to pursue when the time comes...actually when the funds are there. LOL

I have been looking at another Carrier system, Rheem, Lennox, and now Bryant Evolution. I have read that most systems are all the same and it is the contractor that makes the difference but with all the different brands out there, there has to be a difference in the equipment. I was told that the Bryant was noisy and to get a Goodman system. My neighbor has a Lennox and from personal experience that system is noisy. I am at the point now where I do not know which system to look into.

I would appreciate any suggestions at all.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

For zoning, Evolution/Infinity system is the best, but not cheap since you will have to repalce the dampers and controller. Very quiet equipment as well. Although hte premium systems from all brands are pretty quiet. THe only noisy equipment will be lower end models. there again all about equal there. I have one Infinity system in my home and a 2nd going in next week.

Most ciritical thing is a proper installation and that includes sizing. Sizing will impact effceiny comfort and indoor noise more than anything else, even what brand or model equipment you choose. An oversized, poorly installed 21 SEER system could end up using MORE energy than a properly installed and sized 13 SEER cheap base model system.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    For zoning, Evolution/Infinity system is the best, but not cheap since you will have to repalce the dampers and controller. Very quiet equipment as well. Although hte premium systems from all brands are pretty quiet. THe only noisy equipment will be lower end models. there again all about equal there. I have one Infinity system in my home and a 2nd going in next week.

Most ciritical thing is a proper installation and that includes sizing. Sizing will impact effceiny comfort and indoor noise more than anything else, even what brand or model equipment you choose. An oversized, poorly installed 21 SEER system could end up using MORE energy than a properly installed and sized 13 SEER cheap base model system.
    I agree with moto, make sure the duct is large enough for the size equipment and air noise will be minimal with any unit. Outdoor units have come a long way as far as noise goes, the higher end units are almost silent, you literally have to walk up to it to see the fan spinning. Even lower end models can be sound dampened with a compressor jacket. Make sure the duct system is sealed and insulated properly or you won't get anywhere near the rated capacity/efficiency. It's a great idea to get a home energy audit before replacing especially if you have time before you have to purchase. Check out www.comfortinstitute.org and www.resnet.us for more info. As far as brand they really are all very similar, only difference is the way it is controlled. I am a York dealer and their LX line of equipment is a great value line. If going high efficiency I would look into carrier greenspeed, nordyne (broan, maytag etc) IQ drive, or if you really want to go all out a geothermal heat pump is the way to go.