+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ref/HVAC tech pay

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid View Post
    This is B.S. I wish some guys worthy of 25.00 per hr would show up on my door. I'd hire them in a heartbeat.

The real problem is a guy who can't even find a broken wire thinks he is the greatest tech in the world. Then there are the prima ballerinas, who think they so good that they should sit around on the clock, waiting for a call that is not below them.
    That is another problem that makes it hard for everyone else the arseholes you mention. Like I said there should be a Universal mandatory license, and no grandfathering in. Either you pass the test or not. The Oil heat people started with the Silver & Gold Certificates, next thing crybabies started in that they should be grandfathered because of their years in the business. This is WRONG!, take the test if you pas fine, if not take the course.
    Then and only then you can be highly paid because an employer will know that you are as good as you claim.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    there are most certainly calls beneath me. I do em. But I still feel like crap about em.

Nobody likes $hit service work. And the better you are, and can back it up, yes, I do feel I should be given the better work, you bet. After all the reason I am better is because I work harder than the next guy to know my job.

Two things in this business. The better you are, the more you make. #2. The better you are, the more people $hit on you to cut you down to their $hit level.

Post Likes
    I don't care on what jobs I get, work is work, yes I like some stuff better than others but I'll take anything that comes my way

Post Likes
    Looking for a job? If so your hired.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    where is the best place to get the best pay? commercial, residential?

Post Likes
    Looking for a job? If so your hired.

lol not actually looking for a job, i'm employes here up in onterrible but it's OK, my boss is a former mechanic and he knows his stuff is running a pretty good ship and treats me well!(including pay) I'm still on the "young" side compared to co-workers and others in the trade but I'm thinking I'd like to get in to some hogh tonnage chiller work, ammonia work or advanced market work if i move!

hey where are ya located? I'm never one to close an oppertunity

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornetn View Post
    where is the best place to get the best pay? commercial, residential?
    I don't look at it that way, i think it really depends on how you can fix problems and can do your job. Here Resi is more $$ per hour (charge out rate) nut the majority of work is less than 2 hours, commercial has more time invlved per job in it and less expense charge out rate(well here anyway)

Commercilal guys make more than the resi ones in this area. usually, but it takes longer to develop a comercial mechanic over a resi one, thjere's just a broader range of work to be done!

-Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    This is B.S. I wish some guys worthy of 25.00 per hr would show up on my door. I'd hire them in a heartbeat.

The real problem is a guy who can't even find a broken wire thinks he is the greatest tech in the world. Then there are the prima ballerinas, who think they so good that they should sit around on the clock, waiting for a call that is not below them.
    NO, the problem is on BOTH sides of the fence.

IMHO 25 an hour is pretty light and no, I do not work union.

Since pay is by the billable hour, I do not get to enjoy "sitting time" on the boss's nickle, nor do I get paid to hit the supply house.

Why do I say it is both sides of the fence? Because of how hard I laughed at owners who were talking 14 to 16 an hour to someone with a proven 20 year track record.

If a company is going to try and pay 50% of journey level wages, they get EXACTLY what they deserve and the only reason I support them doing it is the large amount of money I get to make following them around.

Post Likes
    Wow, i think this original subject got totally derailed!

The good tech bad tech in my experiance is, the bad ones are lazy and dont care if its fixed right, PERIOD! Good techs, take pride in there work, and take recalls personally. They dont run into the same problem with equipment over and over and keep making the same mistakes, they take the time to learn what there working on so that when they see the same equipment again there not scratching there head and just say,it needs a part ill have to order it!

Nothing irritates me more than call backs on my self. Nothing irritates me more than to help a bad tech with a perticular problem only to see he is still making the same mistakes down the road, and they just say screw it ill just get a recall and let the next guy fix it!

Lets start over. So, how much do yall make????????

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 94blowncobra View Post
    Lets start over. So, how much do yall make????????
    Here's the annual break down in this area for union workers based on 40 and out.
    • Taxable (On the check) = around $65K
    • Retirement Fund = roughly $10K
    • Health Ins = about $11K
    The merit shops are only a buck or two per hour less on the check but substantially less in the insurance/retirement area.

Health insurance is 85/15 preferred provider(I think - it might be 90/10 but the wife takes care of that stuff) with a max family out of pocket of $2K.

Retire today with 35 yrs in and expect close to $50K/yr. for the rest of your life.

Supplemental retirement is additional and paid in to a 401(k) on your behalf. You control the fund and can take it with you wherever you go - this amounts to about $3.5K/yr going into the 401(k) and is figured into the total retirement $$ above.

In the last couple of years, a program has been implemented with our health insurance bank that allows us to pay deductibles and "not covered" medical expenses directly from our dollar bank thereby virtually eliminating any out of pocket expense.
    Last edited by markettech; 02-11-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: For clarification

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    hey where are ya located? I'm never one to close an oppertunity ;

-Mike
    Sunny So. Florida.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    If you consider twenty five per hr light, then you are way beyond turning wrenches.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    NO, the problem is on BOTH sides of the fence.

Since pay is by the billable hour, I do not get to enjoy "sitting time" on the boss's nickle, nor do I get paid to hit the supply house.

Why do I say it is both sides of the fence? Because of how hard I laughed at owners who were talking 14 to 16 an hour to someone with a proven 20 year track record.

If a company is going to try and pay 50% of journey level wages, they get EXACTLY what they deserve and the only reason I support them doing it is the large amount of money I get to make following them around.
    He Is a owner
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Post Likes
    "but I'm thinking I'd like to get in to some hogh tonnage chiller work, ammonia work or advanced market work if i move!

hey where are ya located? I'm never one to close an oppertunity "

Mikey , if you wanna get more into markets, email me, all we do is markets, office in Scarberia, work from the falls to newcastle

Post Likes
    If you consider twenty five per hr light, then you are way beyond turning wrenches.
    And now that I saw you are in FL it makes more sense, rates down there are lower than here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    He Is a owner
    And your an idiot.

Was there a point?

Post Likes
    in west australia refrig mechanics can make $35 an hour and refrig sparky's $30/hr. thats in the supermarket business

Post Likes
    hey I'm refrig mechanic + I do all my sparky work so would make that me get $65/Hr down under?? hahaha j/k

just for the record

1 australian dollar is 90 canadian cents and one canadian dollar is 85 US cents, do the math hahaha

Post Likes
    dual trade refrig ppl all seem to do just sparky work, there's not many of them because it would take you 7 years to do both apprenticeships and there is no dual trade work available due to sparky's having to be licensed as a sparky and a refrig mechanic having to be licensed a mechanic. So you have mechanic contractors and sparky contractors, there's no company that is both. Mechanics wages have only just increased above a sparky's, used to be the other way around.

Post Likes
    not around here. We were making $4 to $6 more an hour than any other trade (except sprinkler fitters and elevator mechs...???). In the last few years this area has boomed so quick that our Union contract (4 year) was unable to keep up with the economy. We now have drywallers making the same as us. Non-Union shops are paying $2 to $5 hr more to keep GOOD mechanics. You cannot compare the rate of a tradesman around the country. You need to establish cost of living in order to balance it all out. For example a 3hr drive from here is a city where the cost of living is dirt cheap. If you make the same wage in both cities then your much better off in one place or the other. How can you compare one city where the housing market is over double the value and a small town or city? cant do it.
    "I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way."

"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skotup View Post
    So you have mechanic contractors and sparky contractors, there's no company that is both.

THe company I work for has refrig mechs, electricians and gas fitters and a sheet metal guy anda couple apprentices for a total of 8 guys, small company

bryan, are you in fort mac or something? a guy i know was offered journeyman wage as 3rd year app with honeywell at the syncrude site i believe a few years ago, aparently they couldn't get enough people.

What is the union package worth out that way now?

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in