Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Ref/HVAC tech pay

Just curious to see what people make around the country. Im in florida and they dont pay jack out here.
    I was in residential Ref/HVAC for about 13 years and was making 20$ an hr. I was so bored and sick of residential that i quit to cgo into commercial. Seems that commercial pays even less and requires a whole lot more tech knowlege. I make less than i did doing resi!!! I do super markers mainly, working on pretty high tech racks. Ive got real good and ive been holding my own with all the new crap on these racks with no problems. I just cant believe some big companies in commercial dont pay?

The going rate out here to start with any joe shmo is around 20$ "WITH" good tech skills. Which is more than this big time company which i wont say at this time that i work for. Im in it for the experiance, then i guess ill do the buck and a truck deal until someone pays.

And,,,, pays, i mean im talkin 25$ an hour man. Common, these dame Targets and Walmarts rack systems are a PITA, until you really get familarized with them..

Dont be shy guys, if you are a good tech with 10+ years and make under 20 an hr, your getting SCREW!D......

the reason they only pay 20 is the have a negotiated contract with these supermarkets and they can't pay anymore and they will throw anyone in a truck at this time to get the calls run and the only reason they pushed up to 20 in the last 2 years, is they couldn't get even ac guys to get in the trucks for less than that...I saw 3 guys go back to ac companys because of the hours and pay were alot better, in my area the top ac guys are making 28+ commission

target and walmart just got into the business and don't have a clue in my opinion with the set points and they way they are setting these newer systems up they run all their glass doors down to the same temp -12 and are beating their racks to death even with the newer controls that can do just about anything you want them to do, have yet to see a float set up in them
    for energy savings or efficiency they haven't heard of getting green yet... stepper valves and all the natures cooling set ups, that aren't being used but the valves are there.... its like having a race car and using it for a taxi in the city
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Something drastic will have to happen. The trade is dragged down by service contracts. The markets are used to paying a flat rate for major repairs.

The equipment repair has become a line on a page instead of a priority.
    The stores are deteriorating. The company under contract will let the knocking compressor run , the store doesn't care, if it dies the contractor will pay for it.

Market guys , in the "old days" were making a lot more than electricians, plumbers, and elevator techs. Things have leveled out. The systems have gotten more complicated and it's really hard to justify doing this.

Our company has lost some really good guys in the past few months to large A.C companies. Market guys are jumping ship to do A.C.
    The A.C. companies will train them.
    The pace is different , the attitude is different.

It's a drag

scale!!!

I'm just an appentice. 24.53 an hour Union baby come on over.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    Something drastic will have to happen. The trade is dragged down by service contracts. The markets are used to paying a flat rate for major repairs.

The equipment repair has become a line on a page instead of a priority.
    The stores are deteriorating. The company under contract will let the knocking compressor run , the store doesn't care, if it dies the contractor will pay for it.

Market guys , in the "old days" were making a lot more than electricians, plumbers, and elevator techs. Things have leveled out. The systems have gotten more complicated and it's really hard to justify doing this.

Our company has lost some really good guys in the past few months to large A.C companies. Market guys are jumping ship to do A.C.
    The A.C. companies will train them.
    The pace is different , the attitude is different.

It's a drag
    Wal-Mart offered me the contract for Long Island Labor$35/hour only not the $125/ hour going rate
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Contracts make it a tough deal. Got about 10 years playing with Refrigeration, about 3 years in Markets. $24.00 per hour. I'm better at what I do than some guys at my pay level, not as good others. So I guess for now I feel like I'm paid fairly. For now. When the day comes when I'm doing more answering questions on this site than asking questions, then it'll be time for a sit-down with the boss.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

the mere fact that some factories put on regular training seminars and have live tech support lines that we CAN call into, in a timely manner... these are about the ONLY benefits the whole industry offers us!
    Oh...and lets not forget OEM parts!
    But aside from those petty things... we are bsiacally on our own!!!

Of course some unions are better, not all of them though.

And even the best shops I ever worked with... they were no better than the worst of them when it comes to pay or bennefits.

Save for one in Austin, Fox Service Co.
    But even they had loads of room for improvement.

I'll bet half the guys on this forum, 50K of us, make less than twenty an hour.

Im kinda pissed about the pay scale here with this company im with. Our raises are SUPPOSED to come in anytime now so i guess we will see what i get bumped to. I got just under a year doing super markets, but ive come along way. Hell its just me and one other tech that run the whole city and the other tech is a lazy bastard who half the time dosnt show up.

I love the commercial field and dont want to go back into customers nasty homes ever again. Super market repair is cool. It can be very challenging and requires you to use you mellon alot.
    Funny thing is, where i left from 90% of the resi techs i worked with were idiots. Only about 4-5 techs out of about 20 were worth anything. The worthless ones were always getting there ass wiped by the ones that knew how to handle the customers and equipment. Im making about the same as these idiots now that i tried to better my future and knowledge in this career. It sucks.

I hate to talk bad about techs but the good techs know where im comming from. Im sure you can all tell a couple hundred times you went behind the same techs over and over again.

Sorry, im just ranting. Im trying to figure out what path to take.

One that obviously pays, and one that i would love and actually like getting up and doing every day. I was thinking ,,,,,,,(chillers)???? I have heard thats where to money is? I was even thinking of jumping ship and going to work for like Trane doing commercial/industrial.

Quote Originally Posted by 94blowncobra View Post
    One that obviously pays, and one that i would love and actually like getting up and doing every day. I was thinking ,,,,,,,(chillers)???? I have heard thats where to money is? I was even thinking of jumping ship and going to work for like Trane doing commercial/industrial.
    yeah the high tonnage chiller guys are definatly a special breed they are well paid but it also takes a long time to become an 'experienced' tech. as well as the big chiller guys the ammonia dudes get thier props too! I as well have thought about entering those fields, basically I like to learn and know more!

I know In Canada there are differences in wages geographically, I'm from the east coast of Canada and Now I am in central canada and with the obvious differences in the economy in these reigons there is quite a difference in wages for mechanics. Out east $25/h is considered good and here in ontario $40/h is considered good, the way i look at it it all depends on the customer base

-Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

crackertech is offline Educational Committee/Professional Member*
    noboby cares about us market guys with everything we have to know and do
    24x7 we should make way more than 20 or less as most guys I know make.
    who else can bring a icecream system back to life at 2am and save the store
    managers a$$ a lot of money.sometimes it seams that it is the only time we
    are thought of as being great.would a big corp market store manager work for
    what we do?I dont think so.why should we.contracts have hurt us all so how do we fix it? mabey some day they will wake up??not.who else would put up with this s$$$.long hr's low pay know body but us die hard market men.
    but god I do love market work dont want to do anything else just pay us
    what we are worth.

I heard that!
    Man, i just love big refrigeration and hvac systems. Im going to jump ship with this HUGE well known company(That i might add makes there own cases/racks)

They dont pay,period! Ive talked to other techs and even supervisors and its unreal.

Chillers,,,,, i think i might try it out. But who to work for? What about York? Do they pay? There non union down here i believe.
    Last edited by 94blowncobra; 02-03-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 94blowncobra View Post
    Chillers,,,,, i think i might try it out. But who to work for? What about York? Do they pay? There non union down here i believe.
    it may be a goot time to get in, since johnson bought york out a lot of techs are jumping ship, but a newbie in the system may be able to deal with their new ways
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

I make too much. I think I need to find a job that pays me less.

Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast