Thread: fan help

fan help

I had my HVAC out to look at my heat pump yesterday and I have a few questions. First he told me I have a leak someplace on my indoor (6 y/o York) unit that would most likely requiring the entire inside unit to be replaced for about $. Are leaks in the coil not repairable? He then told me that a new indoor unit would only have a 1 year warranty and that with the cost of a new fan and cap, indoor coil, and refrigerant that I'd be better off spending $ on a new system with a 5 year warranty. The guy seemed pretty honest but I just want to double check. I was also told that my outside unit needs a new condensor fan motor. He also told me as far as just replacing the fan and the cap that it is something that could be done by me to save the some $ that he would have to charge.the fan is an Emerson 1/4 HP 208/230 850rpm 48y. I can't seem to find an exact replacement. I keep finding motors that match all except the rpm 825 is easier to find than 850. Is it OK to use an 825 rpm motor? The 825s are also cheaper than the only 850 I could find by about $. My original reason for calling was that my condensor fan was not working anymore. He hooked up a voltage meter and determined that the motor was done. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-06-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Prices

No pricing allowed. Anyways the problem with fixing an evap coil is: if it develops a new leak or has an undiscovered leak or the heat of welding damages it then you are going to lose your freon again and who ya gonna blame? The guy who fixed it. So in the long run it is in your best interest to replace the evap coil and have at least a warranty. At this time r410 is the way to go. A new fan motor regardless of the online price really is not a reflection of the price after labor, fuel, insurance, payrole, workmans comp. truck payment etc etc etc.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Thanks for the reply. My question on the fan was 825 rpm OK to use instead of 850 rpm. 850 rpm doesn't seem that common. I have only found 2 while I have found loads of 825s that meet all the other specs of the old other than the rpm being 825 instead of 850.

Such kind of repairs are tricky anyhow, while for smaller unit sizes it can hardly be worthy. the main issue is about how long repair will hold, similarly to repair of old car.

Some question arise relating to regular ownership issues, like how leak in indoor unit developed? If it is not leak at flaring joint, but assumable leak in evaporator itself, how that could happen, have you moved that unit over the years. Related to condenser fan, have you noticed that you indoor unit is working around the clock during summer? Or it is cycling on-off too frequently?

Answers to such questions could possibly help to give you idea how to achieve longer life span for the new unit.

Hmm. So with out being able to run your system, he did a leak check and found that the indoor coil has a leak. But wasn't able to pin point it.

I think a second opinion on that would be in line.

Sorry, prices aren't allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OK, thank you I will get a second opinion. I'm not looking for pricing info for the fan just want to know if I can use an 825rpm or does it have to be 850 like the old one. All the other specs are the same as the old fan.