+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type do you use?

Post Likes

What type do you use?

I didnt know if I should post this here or in Tools & Test Equipment, but I was wondering what do you guys use as far as your paperwork setup. I use an old aluminum clipboard that I have had for years and is now starting to fall apart, so I wanted to get some input from yall on what type of clipboard you might recommend as well as paperwork storage, filing, etc in your work van/truck?

Thanks Guys,

Post Likes
    You are in the dark ages. We use tablets for invoices. Computer in truck with hockey pucks to access information from the cloud.
    Techson Mechanical LLC
    "We Shall Mount Up Wings As Eagles"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techsonac View Post
    You are in the dark ages. We use tablets for invoices. Computer in truck with hockey pucks to access information from the cloud.
    That's wonderful! However, you did not answer my question. But thank you for taking the time to inform me that I am in the dark ages, as I will have to inform my customers that enjoy having a physical receipt that I can no longer provide them with that because techsonac says that is from the "Dark Age"! Also, when our elderly customers that do not have internet capabilities call, I will tell them that we can no longer provide them with service because they do not have an e-mail that we can send an invoice to. Now, back on topic, we also utilize modern technology but do not get rid of paper invoices. When I go to a supply house, gas station, service shop, or hardware store I receive paper receipts that I like to organize and that is why I asked of filing ideas. Thank you very much for taking the time to inform me of my lack of technological achievements, however, all I wanted was a name of a good clipboard. So Mr. techsonac, thank you for sharing, and have an excellent day!

Post Likes
    I use my wife.

Post Likes
    After you calm down go to bussiness depot or grand and toy and buy yourself a new metal clip board.

I have found a nice one at staples it is thier own brand a bit pricey at $60 for a clip board.

FYI. A tablet can send info to a printer so you and your elderly customers can have a paper trail.

Post Likes
    Guess that means I am also in the dark ages. I use a metal clipboard from staples. I do some invoicing on the puter and email. BUT mostly I write an invoice and get paid (paper check) after the job is done. As for the accounting I use Quick Books and save all my receipts in an envelope folder with the month and year on it. The book keeper get a print out from QB, and I have the "proof" of what I spent should I ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    That's wonderful! However, you did not answer my question. But thank you for taking the time to inform me that I am in the dark ages, as I will have to inform my customers that enjoy having a physical receipt that I can no longer provide them with that because techsonac says that is from the "Dark Age"! Also, when our elderly customers that do not have internet capabilities call, I will tell them that we can no longer provide them with service because they do not have an e-mail that we can send an invoice to. Now, back on topic, we also utilize modern technology but do not get rid of paper invoices. When I go to a supply house, gas station, service shop, or hardware store I receive paper receipts that I like to organize and that is why I asked of filing ideas. Thank you very much for taking the time to inform me of my lack of technological achievements, however, all I wanted was a name of a good clipboard. So Mr. techsonac, thank you for sharing, and have an excellent day!

Post Likes
    Metal clipboard here too.

Post Likes
    I'm still old school metal clipboard and I put my receipts in a large envelope I custom built a organizer for my books and manuals and paperwork to keep it all organized most of the time I think simple is better

Post Likes
    I had a nice black leather type case that had pockets for paperwork, a three ring binder in the middle with clear folders to store paperwork I needed to see without removing it, and a calculator. Had it for about four years before I retired it and was given a metal replacement by my company. I picked it up at one of the big office stores. Haven't gotten a new one yet as I believe we are moving to tablets. Loved it though.

Post Likes
    i got a metal clboard from grainger. can't remember the exact pricing but it was almost 20 bucks less than staples.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    I didnt care much for the metal clipboards. I started using (i forget what its called, portfolio maybe?) its a leather binder with pockets inside and a place where you can take notes. If i need to write something down i flip it open and put my papaerwork in the folder part of it. That is for the commercial company i work for. For my side business i use that but i also have
    What is basically a man-purse, but its like a soft brief case. It gices me somewhere to put that notebook, my card swiper, my notebook, receipt book and credit applications. That way when i come home and switch trucks i can just grab that bag and im ready to get back to work.

Post Likes
    I had a metal clipboard from office max I liked, it folded out like a book and had a few compartments.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    I'm still old school metal clipboard and I put my receipts in a large envelope I custom built a organizer for my books and manuals and paperwork to keep it all organized most of the time I think simple is better
    yeah, books don't crash and paperwork doesn't refuse to open

Post Likes
    I use the one from Degree Day

Post Likes
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions, and also for being respectful and respectable men. I truly hate when I ask a question and someone feels the need to be an A** answering the question presented. Thanks for your time guys.

Post Likes
    We use paper too. I think tablets are great for manuals and specs, but I can't see the value of a mobile printer.

Just something else to break or tempt a theft from the front seat.

When you have had "One of those days", all you want to do is throw your tool bag in thru the drivers side and call it quits for the day.

A fixed printer or a lap top is gonna get busted when that tool bag lands. That's the way I see it.

Post Likes
    I'm pretty much a computer buff but working from my truck I'm definitely old school. I keep paper invoices in the truck & use a cheep loose leaf school type book to make notes & copy any invoices I write out during the day. Everything gets entered into the computer but it may take a few weeks or so till i get around to it. There's no right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for you. I'm also a little paranoid too about keeping any computer type stuff in the truck.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    i have a metal one although i like the cheap pastic texum one from wally world it does not scratch any thing

Post Likes
    I use a plastic one that I got from the sc hp association, it has clear dividers, a place for a legal pad and buisiness cards and it was FREE!

Post Likes
    I am 29 and I'm supposedly a member of the "technology generation". However, I am firmly rooted in the "old school". I deal with paper invoices, I keep my books by hand, I pay by check, and I keep a copy of EVERYTHING in a file cabinet. I have all my financial documents saved seven years back in file cabinets, then those documents move on to storage tubs until my CPA says it's ok to go ahead and burn them.

I have my accountant enter all this information into Quick Books and scan all documents to save to our server, that way we have all the information backed up electronically in case something were to happen to my physical files. There isn't anything wrong with technology, but I don't want to rely entirely upon it to keep up with my everything.

I've seen service companies converting over to technology based equipment such as tablets, lap-tops, etc. I'm sure it makes the job of keeping up with invoices and routing easier, but it's got to have some downfalls as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in