Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use the one from Degree Day

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions, and also for being respectful and respectable men. I truly hate when I ask a question and someone feels the need to be an A** answering the question presented. Thanks for your time guys.

We use paper too. I think tablets are great for manuals and specs, but I can't see the value of a mobile printer.

Just something else to break or tempt a theft from the front seat.

When you have had "One of those days", all you want to do is throw your tool bag in thru the drivers side and call it quits for the day.

A fixed printer or a lap top is gonna get busted when that tool bag lands. That's the way I see it.

I'm pretty much a computer buff but working from my truck I'm definitely old school. I keep paper invoices in the truck & use a cheep loose leaf school type book to make notes & copy any invoices I write out during the day. Everything gets entered into the computer but it may take a few weeks or so till i get around to it. There's no right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for you. I'm also a little paranoid too about keeping any computer type stuff in the truck.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

i have a metal one although i like the cheap pastic texum one from wally world it does not scratch any thing
    We really need change now

I use a plastic one that I got from the sc hp association, it has clear dividers, a place for a legal pad and buisiness cards and it was FREE!

I am 29 and I'm supposedly a member of the "technology generation". However, I am firmly rooted in the "old school". I deal with paper invoices, I keep my books by hand, I pay by check, and I keep a copy of EVERYTHING in a file cabinet. I have all my financial documents saved seven years back in file cabinets, then those documents move on to storage tubs until my CPA says it's ok to go ahead and burn them.

I have my accountant enter all this information into Quick Books and scan all documents to save to our server, that way we have all the information backed up electronically in case something were to happen to my physical files. There isn't anything wrong with technology, but I don't want to rely entirely upon it to keep up with my everything.

I've seen service companies converting over to technology based equipment such as tablets, lap-tops, etc. I'm sure it makes the job of keeping up with invoices and routing easier, but it's got to have some downfalls as well.

tablets would be nice for looking up info and such etc etc..however I know most of my customers seem to like to have a hand written ticket describing what I did in hand when I leave. if u could print something out of ur service vehicle then that's awesome however that's just what most customers I deal with seem to like. and to answer the original question I use a metal clipboard/binder for writing service tickets and recording readings however when I get to my van my tickets go into a zip-up dewalt book I just got till I get to the office. I also have a small filing bin in the van I keep various forms(service tickets, start-up forms, and product info pamphlets).
    "only 2 tools any man needs is wd40 and duct tape. if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape. if it doesn't move and should, use the wd40" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I use my wife.
    Aluminum clipboard.............desk.....................wif e " put the big invoices on the top shelf and the little ones in the bottom drawer! And make sure you put a job name on them!" yes hon.......................
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Energy efficient and economical to operate are not synonyms
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions, and also for being respectful and respectable men. I truly hate when I ask a question and someone feels the need to be an A** answering the question presented. Thanks for your time guys.
    Not trying to be an a** here....
    But i am all electronic. If my customer wants a paper copy i snail mail it to them. like you said im getting enough paper from vendors so im not going to start creating my own stack.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Not trying to be an a** here....
    But i am all electronic. If my customer wants a paper copy i snail mail it to them. like you said im getting enough paper from vendors so im not going to start creating my own stack.

A lot of customers don't care about a bill on the spot & have no problem with me sending it to them later by mail or email but some do care.
    So what do you do if the customer wants a bill in their hands before they pay you which they have every right to do?
    Do you tell them to wait until they get the bill in the mail & then mail you a check? Or do you you write them an invoice so you can get paid before you leave?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    A lot of customers don't care about a bill on the spot & have no problem with me sending it to them later by mail or email but some do care.
    So what do you do if the customer wants a bill in their hands before they pay you which they have every right to do?
    Do you tell them to wait until they get the bill in the mail & then mail you a check? Or do you you write them an invoice so you can get paid before you leave?
    Never had a customer like that. Most are understanding of the digital age. I can show them a copy of the bill that i plan on mailing to them. If its a big job that has to be bid on i usually bring a hard copy quote with me.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I keep paper invoices in the truck but only use them when requested. Most of the time my customers are happy with me emailing it or snail mailing it to them after the fact. If I write a paper invoice I make sure to input it in QuickBooks and trash the paper copy. I would fill up a small warehouse keeping paper copies of everything much less the fire hazard it creates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast