Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone know how trane reliatel system works?

hI everyone
    i just recently got into the field of commercial hvac.
    i'm having trouble with these trane rtu with reliatel, it's control by a trane thermostat with a sensor next to it.
    my first question, is the unit control by DC voltage? because the terminals R W G Y aren't being use.
    second what type of sensor was it, that was mounted next to the thermostat?

do you have any model numbers off of the tstat and unit? the reliatel can have either a "trane" tstat, which is communicating, or a standard tstat (R, Y, G, etc), or trane bas.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Hmm

What Is Being Used 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 Our What.give Us More Info,thanks Tomtom Cool Man

reliatel

baysenso19b or c ,yes it is dc voltage. awesome thermostats. As far as the "sensor" are you sure it is part of the hvac controls? if so maybe a remote smoke detector module? need more info?

They work well until they don't work... then I swear it's voo-doo that runs them units!

Check this stuff out too, might help you along the way.
    http://www.hvac.amickracing.com/RTU Training/Trane RTU info/
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

Quote Originally Posted by TomTom Cool Man View Post
    What Is Being Used 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 Our What.give Us More Info,thanks Tomtom Cool Man
    yes it was hook up to the 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 terminal?
    can anybody tell me how does it work.

they have low DC voltage on the numbered terminals. NEVER jumper any two termianls together or you could be in for a world of poo. I always test operation by jumping the test pins repeatedly to get to the function I want to turn on. If ya read the service man. unitary processor control it can tell ya more in detail.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

They are very easy to troubleshoot once you get your hands on the reliatel book. Link is in post above. From the terminals you read your DC volts to get information. For example..........If you came up to the unit on a no cooling call and fan running and compressors off. Check DC voltage at terminals on RTRM board at 6 and 8. If you read around 30 volts, its a call for cooling, If you read .75 volts, no call for cooling, If the voltage is blinking or spiking from 30VDC to 15VDC (not steady), thats a cool fail.

The heat works the same way on teerminals 6 and 7.

All this is in the book..

The other nice thing is if your on the roof you can measure the voltage at the terminal board and see what mode your in from the tstat. This is nice for fan ON or AUTO and heat, cool, auto.

Terminal 1 is zone temp
    Terminal 2 is common to sensor
    Terminal 3 cooling setpoint
    Terminal 4 mode
    Terminal 5 heat setpoint

Terminals 7 thru 14 are for programmable sensor like you have

All this unit needs to operate in a jam is a senor on 1 and 2 and the unit will run fan ON and maintain 74 cool and 71 heat on its own.

Get reliatel book RT-SVD03D-EN
    Get Voyager book PUB No. 22-7706-06

You cant troubleshoot these with out the book till you get on to them.

I wanted to share more information with you about the reliatel control system.

Every module in the system works on a comm bus between the boards. You can ID the bus by looking for the four wires and typically a twisted pair. This is your 24 VAC, 24 com, Comm twisted pair. You can find them on all the boards. Look at the RTRM board and find the J4 plug. Thats the BUS.

This bus or comm wires will connect all boards like the ignition, economizer, options, ect.....

Voodoo problems or abnormal operation can be traced from boards by disconnecting board one at a time and resetting power and rechecking operation. (disconnect board by just comm wire plug)

After any changes in bus circuit or zone sensor, cycle power and on start up the reliatel system self checks itself and looks to see whats on the bus and what kind of zone sensor or conventional stat is hooked up.

Trane has had its share of problems with the economizer module (ECM) that has done some unexplained problems. If I suspect this, I unplug the Comm plug on the ECM and then recheck.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by deon1116 View Post
    yes it was hook up to the 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 terminal?
    can anybody tell me how does it work.
    7 is heat status
    8 is cool status
    9 is system status
    10 is clogged filter or fan fail
    11 common
    12 comm comunication
    14 24 VAC

This zone sensor is like another module in the system, the terminals 11,12, and 14 are the bus and all that is needed to operate the RTU. All the information/communication is thru these three wires. The other 7 thru 10 are status outputs from the RTU to the zone sensor. If the RTU heat locks out because of a failure, the programmable zone sensor will show HEAT FAIL on the display on the 7 terminal. (blinking)

I hope this helps.

Just another tip for you all

A heat fail on a Voyager with a UCP board = a limit in the return section opened. If the ignition control locks out this will not produce a heat fail.

On Voyager 3 units VAV in the test mode for heat, when you test out wait for 6-7 minutes before the heat will turn on. this allows time for the boxes to drive to 100% open. This could drive a guy nuts the first time you run into it.

erikbaer45acp@yahoo.com

Send me an email and I will try to send you the PDF files for the information you need.

Cool yep they are good

untill they start stopping up the freon driers
    of start blowing out compressor terminal boxes, shorting to ground
    I have seen ice build up on the short header orifices used for expansion device
    all compressor should have CCH heaters on them and anytime you find failed CCH's or the non install of them, get the wiring harness for them and put them on,
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=117398
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=115384
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast