Boom SOUND in the furnace?

I live in Denver and we are having a rather rough winter this year. We have a York two stage %80 Diamond Deluxe that is 6 years old. The furnace is working good the only thing is that at times, not always, there is a "BOOM" sound coming out of the furnace when the blower shuts off at the end of the cycle. The heat exchanger is already always off and the blower is in the process of kicking out the remaining hot air when this happens. It only happens once in a while and I am thinking that it is because the blower is set for only 60 or 90 seconds instead of the maximum 180 seconds in order to expell the remaining hot air in the chamber. Am I correct and is this serious? As I said, the furnace seems to be working quite well and normal save for this boom sound that I only started to notice this winter. I watched and listened through 3 cycles last night and there was no boom.....?????

It sounds like it could be ductwork expanding and contracting. But I'd get it checked out incase the boom is coming from the combustion chamber. If it is, then yes, that is serious. Call someone asap.

Geez that don't sound too good maybe you should have it looked at.

You might want to send the wife and kids to the inlaws till then...

If its a BOOM! Thats delayed ignition, your furnace is exploding call a expert.
    If its a BANG! thats duct work, change your filter or move the couch off the return air grille.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

There are two scenarios here; one we can discuss, the other one, You need help soon. If it happens after the burners are off, there is a good chance that your ductwork is popping and echoing throught the house. If this is not the case, you need to call a service tech asap, because the only other boom is from gas exploding. Turn your thermostat off and turn on the fan and shut it back off a few times and try to find the popping noise in your ductwork. If that does not work call for help and get it checked out. Good Luck
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    If its a BOOM! Thats delayed ignition, your furnace is exploding call a expert.
    If its a BANG! thats duct work, change your filter or move the couch off the return air grille.
    Did you get the email I sent you???

(Nevermind, I just found your post )
    Last edited by Makinice; 02-01-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Hey guys what do you think that maybe that boom is a chase back through the burner body ? Or it could just be the venting not cooling at an even pace.

Thanks! I think it is more of a bang than a boom. The house is brick ranch and the furnace is in the basement and I only have two air ducts open in the basement while all are open upstairs so I opened a few more downstairs. I did not hear this noise this morning.

I will call someone next week to clean the unit if nothing else since I have not had it serviced since it was installed. 6 yrs. I want that purged time increased if nothing else to expell all that hot air that is left when the whole thing cycles off. Sometimes I manually run the fan for 45 seconds or so to kick out the remaining hot air.

I don't think anything is exploding as I watched it the other night and it seemed to work OK and there was no bang or boom but my daughter sleeps down there and better safe than sorry. I am sure it is ductwork but then...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill34 View Post
    but my daughter sleeps down there and better safe than sorry. I am sure it is ductwork but then...?
    Oh man. Why chance it? Call a professional.

Sounds like the duct work flexing back and forth by the blower pressurizing and then de-pressurizing it. Take your hand and push around on the ducts and see if you can simulate the sound. A burner malfunction will make boom as well, but since you say it only does it when burners are off, then it shouldn't be that unless something weird is going on with controls.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

I think I said that didn't I. I was being a smart ass but I was trying to get your attention

Alright bill we just had 3 people die from carbonmonxide poisoning and 4 more overcome and in serious condition, just a few miles from here yesterday.

Get her outta there. Until you have it serviced hey it may be nothing or it could be extremely serious.