Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 48
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    539

    Mormon and Buddhism

    Due to all the good responses in my athiest thread, I want to ask the following.
    What do you all think about Mormons?
    What do you think about the teachings of Buddhism?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Both are cults.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    18,205
    I like Buddhism and its teachings.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    2,144
    My sister, converted to Mormanism and so has my mother. There's some good stuff about it but some weird stuff too. When my sister got married, she was married in a temple in Arizona. My brother-in-law and his family grew up morman so they could enter to see the wedding as could my mother (she met the 2yr requirement) but nobody else on my side of the family even got to see the wedding. Bummer. They did it in the temple because that would mean they are married forever, not just on earth but in heaven as well. That directly contradicts what Jesus said about marriage in heaven so that is issue #1. Lots of others, maybe we'll get into those as well.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

    Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by coordinatesales View Post
    My sister, converted to Mormanism and so has my mother. There's some good stuff about it but some weird stuff too. When my sister got married, she was married in a temple in Arizona. My brother-in-law and his family grew up morman so they could enter to see the wedding as could my mother (she met the 2yr requirement) but nobody else on my side of the family even got to see the wedding. Bummer. They did it in the temple because that would mean they are married forever, not just on earth but in heaven as well. That directly contradicts what Jesus said about marriage in heaven so that is issue #1. Lots of others, maybe we'll get into those as well.
    A primary issue is Christ's deity. They claim He is not God...a direct contradiction to Scripture, just for starters, John 1.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Both are cults.
    Here's a definition of a cult:
    In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream. Wiki

    You "born again" types are actually much smaller in numbers to the religion of Buddhism, so by comparison your religion is actually the cult. Also, Buddhism is older than Christianity so Christianity was a cult to Buddhists.

    The "born again" types also seem to swear their allegiance to the KJV Bible in particular, which would be a "novel belief system" or "idosyncratic practice".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    A primary issue is Christ's deity. They claim He is not God...a direct contradiction to Scripture, just for starters, John 1.
    You would have to actually understand John 1 first. Then just read John 1:18, or numerous other scriptures in John that directly contradict your assumption....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    You would have to actually understand John 1 first. Then just read John 1:18, or numerous other scriptures in John that directly contradict your assumption....

    Thanks for pointing that out. John 1:18: "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side." The only logical conclusion from that with the previous 17 verses is that Jesus is God.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Here's a definition of a cult:
    In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream. Wiki

    You "born again" types are actually much smaller in numbers to the religion of Buddhism, so by comparison your religion is actually the cult. Also, Buddhism is older than Christianity so Christianity was a cult to Buddhists.

    The "born again" types also seem to swear their allegiance to the KJV Bible in particular, which would be a "novel belief system" or "idosyncratic practice".
    I agree...that is a definition of a cult.

    You have a point?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,942
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Here's a definition of a cult:
    In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream. Wiki

    You "born again" types are actually much smaller in numbers to the religion of Buddhism, so by comparison your religion is actually the cult. Also, Buddhism is older than Christianity so Christianity was a cult to Buddhists.

    The "born again" types also seem to swear their allegiance to the KJV Bible in particular, which would be a "novel belief system" or "idosyncratic practice".

    Sin, that is “a” definition well I don’t know where you found it but the popular belief around here is that it describes a religion which is not only bizarre in their practices and beliefs but also practice a form of “mind control of their members” to discourage them from leaving the flock and to be 100% supporters of their agenda. The Mormons do have some of these traits. If you leave the church you are banned and other members have to shun you. The Muslims with their practice of praying 5 times a day every day and you could be killed if you left and join another religion should qualify. “Born again and Fundamentalists” don’t meet those requirements.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. John 1:18: "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side." The only logical conclusion from that with the previous 17 verses is that Jesus is God.
    Now that's funny from you.... don't you want to use your KJV?

    John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. KJV

    John 1:18God no one hath ever seen; the only begotten Son, who is on the bosom of the Father -- he did declare. Youngs Literal Translation

    begotten
    adj : (of offspring) generated by procreation; "naturally begotten
    child"


    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

    Beget \Be*get"\, v. t. [imp. Begot, (Archaic) Begat; p. p.
    Begot, Begotten; p. pr. & vb. n. Begetting.] [OE.
    bigiten, bigeten, to get, beget, AS. begitan to get; pref.
    be- + gitan. See Get, v. t. ]
    1. To procreate, as a father or sire; to generate; --
    commonly said of the father.

    Yet they a beauteous offspring shall beget.
    --Milton.

    2. To get (with child.) [Obs.] --Shak.

    3. To produce as an effect; to cause to exist.

    Love is begot by fancy. --Granville.

    Begotten \Be*got"ten\,
    p. p. of Beget.


    Not God. Begotten from God. Very simple and straightforward.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    If you leave the church you are banned and other members have to shun you.

    That's biblical. Catholics excommunicate. In the US you can be convicted of treason or you could renounce your citizenship. Both carry ramifications. Your point?

    "The Mormons do have some of these traits." - Catholic and other religions have guys running around in "dresses", kissing their rings, wearing big hats, etc....
    Last edited by sysint; 02-02-2007 at 02:37 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    More with John:

    18No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

    34And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

    9Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

    3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    3:35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. (at one time Jesus didn't have everything)

    4:34Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. (sent by God, not God)

    5:9 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

    5:18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. 19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. (The Jews thought he was making himself a god like the Father.)

    5:26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; (this is a killer statement--- Jesus didn't have life in himself until God gave it to him) or as the NIV states: 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.

    5:27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also-- (another thing God gave Jesus he didn't have at one time)

    5:30I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

    ..... no need to go much further. John clearly indcates the position of Jesus as God's only begotten son, that Jesus has life in himself because God gave it to him, not because he is God.

    Also, that Jesus has his own will separate from the Father.

    EDIT Actually, how about John 14:28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. KJV

    28"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. NIV

    .... back to the drawing board I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event