Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What's the Most Painful Task you have Day-to-Day doing HVAC Work?

Hello,

Not the usual question probably posted in this sub-forum but I believe this could be beneficial for all the rock-star HVAC contractors and myself.

I currently work in IT but I'm working on a software capstone project for an online college I'm enrolled in. We have to basically find a problem and figure out how we can solve it by using software. The HVAC industry is quite interesting and from viewing a few posts already I can tell that there must be pain points that software could possibly solve. I give a big kuddo's to all of you in this industry because it seems way harder than anything I ever had to put up with in my short IT career.

Would really love any input regarding the questions below and I'll be sure to follow up and keep everyone involved and a part of whatever may or may not result from this convo. So here goes nothing (flame suit on):

Can you walk me through a typical day for you?
    What’s the most painful task you have day-to-day?
    What takes up most of your time?
    What are you currently doing that frustrates you?
    What tasks are you doing that you believe can be made easier or less tedious?

P.S. I emailed quite a few local HVAC companies along with a few calls but not surprisingly I didn't get much of a response. I think because there's no good way of emailing these places without sounding spammy or coming off as a sales call.

Sure il take 2

The most painful task is to deal with people, machines are easy to deal with, people are a pain.

Sorry about that I was really on the fence of which sub-forum to put this under

Driving and putting up with idiots on the road that shouldn't be on the road...unless their run over.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

its not software related but installers putting air handlers in stupid places. architects and engineers should be required to do six months worth of pm's before being allowed to design ac systems. maybe then they would decide that 4 square feet of floor space isnt so precious after all. I am sick and tired of crawling 50 ft under a house without enough room to take a deep breath dragging a tool bag with one hand and shining a flashlight with the other to go pull some indoor fan motor amps, clean a coil and drop some tabs. Or in commercial work, moving ceiling tiles to get to an access door to jump through a fire break to pull up a truss to get to another platform just big enough for the air handler and then have to fold the air filter to get it in and out because an electrician or plumber run their stuff across the face of it and everytime it is the same filter i put in 6 months ago that i take out because building maintenance is not going to go through all that bs to change it once a month. How about adding a routine to cad software that can say, "hey, moron, don't put that there!"
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    its not software related but installers putting air handlers in stupid places. architects and engineers should be required to do six months worth of pm's before being allowed to design ac systems. maybe then they would decide that 4 square feet of floor space isnt so precious after all. I am sick and tired of crawling 50 ft under a house without enough room to take a deep breath dragging a tool bag with one hand and shining a flashlight with the other to go pull some indoor fan motor amps, clean a coil and drop some tabs. Or in commercial work, moving ceiling tiles to get to an access door to jump through a fire break to pull up a truss to get to another platform just big enough for the air handler and then have to fold the air filter to get it in and out because an electrician or plumber run their stuff across the face of it and everytime it is the same filter i put in 6 months ago that i take out because building maintenance is not going to go through all that bs to change it once a month. How about adding a routine to cad software that can say, "hey, moron, don't put that there!"
    Amen!!

Getting paid,, But I believe square and go pay Intuit will help?
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    yep that pretty much sums it up

architects and engineers should be required to do six months worth of pm's before being allowed to design ac systems

Ditto

Amen
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

The most painful task I have to perform every day?

Getting out of bed in the morning.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The most painful task I have to perform every day?

Getting out of bed in the morning.
    X100

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast