Questions on York's Affinity Residential Communicating Control

I have a newish York DNX packaged gas/electric dual stage A/C unit (installed about two years ago) and I am thinking I might want a better control for it. In particular the control I have is rather basic when it comes to controlling the dual stage cooling, which matters in Arizona. So I'm looking at York's high end toy. Few questions related to that:

1) Would it work with my unit? The specific model is D2NX048N06506NX.

2) How many wires does it need? I have 6 in the wall.

3) In your experience, is it a useful item, or just showy?

4) How do you feel it compares to the funny-looking Nest thermostat, if you've tried both?

Bonus question) If you are in the Tucson area, do you have and install either or both of these? If so, I'd appreciate your contact info.

Thanks.

That unit should have been installed with a communicating thermostat from the beginning, otherwise, there's little to be gained over an LX series other than 2 stage compressor. Althouhg in a dry climate, you won;t benefit as much since humidity control isn't a concern. So from that standpoint, since it's straight cool, not a dual fuel heat pump system, I'm not sure you'll gain much.

Nest thermostats aren't real popular on here. They have some value, but the Ecobees seem to be a better way to go. But I'd take the communicating affinity control over either.

I don't feel having remote control from a smart phoen is nessesary. Unless maybe it's a vacation home. I optend for example for the non-wifi version of the CArrier Infinity thermostat on my new system I'm installing in my own home. Not worth the additional cost. 1 more thing to mess with, to break, without a lot of benefit. I felt the touchscreen control was worht it because I plan to add zoning in the future.

The second stage was why I opted for a DNX rather than a DNZ or something. I would presume that running in the lower stage most of the time is more efficient, and it is certainly more comfortable and quieter. Also I liked the covered side grilles better. Silly maybe, but whatever I could afford it. Mostly what I'm looking to gain is better control over when the second stage engages (my current thermostat turns it on if the target temperature is 2 degrees or more away from the current temperature) and also maybe fan speed, since I am given to understand the unit has a variable fan, but I have no ability to change it right now.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.

arthur13

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-06-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Arthur13

Read the AOP Forum rules. You are only allowed to reply to thread that you have started unless you are an approved Professional Member*