Hybrid View

Need Guidance Immediately

I have just had (2) Rheem RGTM06 furnaces installed. One in 1st floor closet and one in 2nd floor attic. BOTH SHAKE THE FLOOR. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this a common problem?
    2. This was a $$$ installation including new rigid ductwork on downstairs system and utilizing existing flex duct on 2nd floor and I am holding $500 right now. How do I approach the contractor diplomatically b/c the repair to this problem will probably be difficult/expensive? Keep in mind that the contractor has already explained how "he lost money on this job b/c it was more difficult than anticipated".

Pricing isn't allowed

1. Yes, if not installed properly, although you have to expect a little noise from the closet install, not vibration.
    2. I assume the Contractor, both looked where he was going to install the equipment, and installed equipment before? If both answers are yes, then it's his problem to correct. If no, its his own stupid fault. You're going to need more then diplomacy to get him to correct this for the $500.00 you're holding.
    Didn't he hear these noises when he fired up the systems?

Have someone look for paper, installation manual, insulation sucked into the blower wheel. Nothing more. Contractor should be run out of town.

explained how "he lost money on this job b/c it was more difficult than anticipated".

"Personal problem"

You should not have noticeably vibration problems from system, blower wheel out of balance, loose,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OGNewJersey View Post
    Keep in mind that the contractor has already explained how "he lost money on this job b/c it was more difficult than anticipated".

That's a cost of doing business. If it's a proprietor or family business, you never really "lose your shirt" on a job since you still should have covered all materials and vairable costs. You hourly rate just drops down nothing.

Now a larger business has payroll... so cashflow can become a major problem quick if you underbid enough jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by OGNewJersey View Post
    I have just had (2) Rheem RGTM06 furnaces installed. One in 1st floor closet and one in 2nd floor attic. BOTH SHAKE THE FLOOR. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this a common problem?
    2. This was a $$$ installation including new rigid ductwork on downstairs system and utilizing existing flex duct on 2nd floor and I am holding $500 right now. How do I approach the contractor diplomatically b/c the repair to this problem will probably be difficult/expensive? Keep in mind that the contractor has already explained how "he lost money on this job b/c it was more difficult than anticipated".

Pricing isn't allowed
    It's should not
    shake the floor unless your house was built in 1507.
    I remember the saw mills having issues with the lumber that season.

in other words, not common, once in 600 years or so.

Call RHEEM distributor after you find out how much of a slacker ( fskdkjsd ) the original installer REALLY Is.

He didn't happen to mount the air handlers directly on top of your clothes washer, did he?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities