Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gun Control shot down

I am just so depressed . I am like Obama so blind sided and mad by this gun Bill.
    Perhaps we can summit a bill to put pressure cookers on a 15 day waiting period. These pressure cookers are killing people. Pressure cookers have no place in our homes or communities. pressure cookers kill.

Perhaps we should out law bombs, or have we done that? That would make no sense then because if we out lawed bombs how could Boston happen ? I'm confused!

Obama says that 97% of the public supports "background check" laws.
    Obama claimed that a minority of Congressman stopped the majority from achieving their goals.

just because the media asked people if they want dangerous felons and insane people to run around with guns and 97% of those polled responded "no", they think this justifies all of their loony attempts to over-turn the Second Amendment.

it's surprising to me, that a "constitutional scholar" like Obama doesn't realize that this is a textbook example of why our system was set up the way it was, so politicians don't remove rights because of popular trends.

even the polls in Los Angeles from the local news say that 66% said Congress did the wrong thing by shooting down these intrusive laws, 66% is a long way from 97%

it's scary to realize that this immature style of politics is something that high rank politicians and the President engage in.

He should have slung it over his back or better dtill concealed it under his jacket. Why push it and scaring old ladies & liberals and they callimg the cops over "fear". Thank you very much

BWHAHAHA there maybe hope yet

BUT!!! this aint over. Feinstein can still try and sneak her commie agenda into so other law
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

There was a big thunder storm here yesterday....the Gods were celebrating!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

If you feel like celebrating, don't. This is not over,, this is not over. They are going back to their corners preparing, they are not quitting and they will not quit until all our guns are gone.
    Why are we not outraged at the President's lies, and his using this tragedy to further his gun control agenda? Leading little children in a path that all experts say will not make a difference. But we stand by and let him assure the American public that this is the answer. And of course there are plenty who just blindly follow our leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    If you feel like celebrating, don't. This is not over,, this is not over. They are going back to their corners preparing, they are not quitting and they will not quit until all our guns are gone.
    Why are we not outraged at the President's lies, and his using this tragedy to further his gun control agenda? Leading little children in a path that all experts say will not make a difference. But we stand by and let him assure the American public that this is the answer. And of course there are plenty who just blindly follow our leader.
    Yeah and it appears they got the "cops" on their side. Most are control freaks and want to be the only ones who can have guns. The military doesn't think that way thank heavens so they won't be kicking in doors going after your guns. We need to bring the cops back in line with the people. They have been trained to think are Gods and we are servants of the state at least some think that way.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Yeah and it appears they got the "cops" on their side. Most are control freaks and want to be the only ones who can have guns. The military doesn't think that way thank heavens so they won't be kicking in doors going after your guns. We need to bring the cops back in line with the people. They have been trained to think are Gods and we are servants of the state at least some think that way.
    thats not exactly true in NYS. The NYS Sheriff's Association and many other LEO's have sent Drama Queen Cuomo a letter stating there displease with the UN-Safe Act

While most LE agencies have no problem with PARTS of the NY Safe Act, the weapon classification, magazine capacity and other provisions, they are dead set against, like this little tid-bit

Assault weapon ban and definition of assault weapons. We believe that the new definition of assault weapons is too broad, and prevents the possession of many weapons that are legitimately used for hunting, target shooting and self defense. Classifying firearms as assault weapons because of one arbitrary feature effectively deprives people the right to possess firearms which have never before been designated as assault weapons. We are convinced that only law abiding gun owners will be affected by these new provisions, while criminals will still have and use whatever weapons they want.
    and this:

Reduction of ammunition magazine capacity. The new law enacts reductions in the maximum capacity of gun magazines. We believe based on our years of law
    enforcement experience that this will not reduce gun violence. The new law will
    unfairly limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms in New York. It
    bears repeating that it is our belief that the reduction of magazine capacity will not make New Yorkers or our communities safer.
    Sale of ammunition. The new law imposes several new provisions regarding how, and from whom, ammunition can be lawfully purchased. The law should be clarified about the use of the Internet as a vehicle for these sales, out-of-state sales to New York residents, and other issues. Businesses have said that they do not understand the new provisions and are concerned that they will have to cease operations.
    Method of bill passage. It is the view of the Sheriffs’ Association that anytime government decides it is necessary or desirable to test the boundaries of a constitutional right that it should only be done with caution and with great respect for those constitutional boundaries. Further, it should only be done if the benefit to be gained is so great and certain that it far outweighs the damage done by the constriction of individual liberty. While many of the provisions of the new law have surface appeal, it is far from certain that all, or even many, of them will have any significant effect in reducing gun violence, which is the presumed goal of all of us. Unfortunately the process used in adoption of this act did not permit the mature development of the arguments on either side of the debate, and thus many of the stakeholders in this important issue are left feeling ignored by their government. Even those thrilled with the passage of this legislation should be concerned about the process used to secure its passage, for the next time they may find themselves the victim of that same process. Fortunately, the Governor has shown himself open to working with interested parties to address some of the problems that arose due to the hasty enactment of this law. We will work with the Governor and the Legislature on these issues.
    Sheriffs understand their Constitutional obligations and the concerns of constituents Sheriffs and other law enforcement officers are not called upon by this new legislation to go door-to-door to confiscate any weapons newly classified as assault weapons, and will not do so.

Not everyone is FOR gun control.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

I know what you mean about police mentality.
    but this shows the law enforcment was not in favor of this bill. and a few other interesting polls I would trust lots more that what the president says.
    http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ne...n-control.aspx

The typical officers on the street are not in favor of most gun control laws. Elected county sheriffs are also no typically in favor of more gun control.

That said, nearly all hired police chiefs (they are not elected) favor more and more drastic gun control laws. You see, those who are elected and close to their voters actually more closely represent those for whom they serve. Hired police chiefs report to their mayor and city council who hired them and they tend to be more liberal and left leaning.

There is a Bloomberg led group "Mayors Against Guns" while at the same time there is a very large group of sherrifs who have joined together to oppose more gun control and stand behind the Second Amendment and its direct application to those who live within their respective county. Many sheriffs are members of the NRA and/or GOA. Can't say the same for hired and appointed police chiefs.

BTW, did you know that if a police chief goes bad the local elected sheriff can remove him and take over his responsibilities until the court reviews and makes a decision over the dispute? Up, elected authorities have power over those appointed, at least in this case. Technically, if a local police chief decided to go collecting your firearms house to house, your local elected county sheriff could step in and overrule him. Elected local county sheriffs are a very important part of our individual rights. We need to make sure we elect sheriffs who actually believe in the Bill Of Rights.

Hugh B

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    The typical officers on the street are not in favor of most gun control laws. Elected county sheriffs are also no typically in favor of more gun control.

That said, nearly all hired police chiefs (they are not elected) favor more and more drastic gun control laws. You see, those who are elected and close to their voters actually more closely represent those for whom they serve. Hired police chiefs report to their mayor and city council who hired them and they tend to be more liberal and left leaning.

There is a Bloomberg led group "Mayors Against Guns" while at the same time there is a very large group of sherrifs who have joined together to oppose more gun control and stand behind the Second Amendment and its direct application to those who live within their respective county. Many sheriffs are members of the NRA and/or GOA. Can't say the same for hired and appointed police chiefs.

BTW, did you know that if a police chief goes bad the local elected sheriff can remove him and take over his responsibilities until the court reviews and makes a decision over the dispute? Up, elected authorities have power over those appointed, at least in this case. Technically, if a local police chief decided to go collecting your firearms house to house, your local elected county sheriff could step in and overrule him. Elected local county sheriffs are a very important part of our individual rights. We need to make sure we elect sheriffs who actually believe in the Bill Of Rights.

Hugh B
    Sheriff's are THE law enforcement officers of the county they serve. THEY have the power to arrested and detain State police AND any federal agents (Highly doubt they would, but they have that power)

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Sheriff's are THE law enforcement officers of the county they serve. THEY have the power to arrested and detain State police AND any federal agents (Highly doubt they would, but they have that power)
    Thanks, I was not aware of all of that. I imagine there is case law behind that. Would like to have access to that evidence for the future. Could come in handy when meeting with my local sheriff.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Thanks, I was not aware of all of that. I imagine there is case law behind that. Would like to have access to that evidence for the future. Could come in handy when meeting with my local sheriff.

Hugh
    I already talked to Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn, Sheriff of Monroe County and President of the NYS Sheriff's Association. I met him at a "Chocolate Ball" (Charity event for Epilepsy) and I thanked him and the Association for sending that letter to Gov. Cuomo (realize Pat O'flynn didn't know me from Adam) and he said "Do you believe that guy, how do you trample on the Constitution and sleep at night" (Honest to God that exactly what he said to me) We then had a very nice conversation. As it turns out, his table was right next to ours. So we were busting each others chops all night

he's actually a really nice guy. I met him a second time at a SCOPE meeting were he tried his best to answer questions about NYS Safe Act, but he, and a lot of LEO's are confused on the law.

For example, The state published a list of guns that ARE BANNED and guns that ARE NOT BANNED. However, some shotguns that are on the NOT BANNED list can hold more than 7 rounds, if you use 1Ύ" shells....That makes the gun illegal. It's "legal id you use 2" or larger shells. soooooooo? whats legal or illegal. i guess you'll know right after you get arrested?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast