Could I have burned out the furnace motor by turning furnace on or off?

Could I have burned out my furnace motor by turning the furnace on or off?

A few weeks ago, I turned off my furnace using the main ON-OFF switch next to the furnace. I then pulled out the filter, examined it, put it back, and then used the switch to turn the furnace back on.

A few hours later, I noticed that the house was getting very cold. The variable speed motor in the furnace had failed and had to be replaced.

Is it possible that I caused the failure by shutting off the furnace at the wrong moment?

Quote Originally Posted by robert.polster View Post
    Could I have burned out my furnace motor by turning the furnace on or off?

A few weeks ago, I turned off my furnace using the main ON-OFF switch next to the furnace. I then pulled out the filter, examined it, put it back, and then used the switch to turn the furnace back on.

A few hours later, I noticed that the house was getting very cold. The variable speed motor in the furnace had failed and had to be replaced.

Is it possible that I caused the failure by shutting off the furnace at the wrong moment?
    I advise home owners to wait 15 minutes before reapplying power to a furnace equipped with a variable speed motor. They can be sensitive to quick flickers of power on and off.

Is it possible your problem is as simple as your stat loosing its program? Set it back to heat, turn the temp up and hit hold?

Other than that, may need to call a pro, there are a number of other minor things it could be, that would require a technician.

Did you shut it off in the middle of a heat cycle (burner was still firing)

If you did it was unintentional. The unit is designed to be able to be turned off at any point otherwise it would be unsafe if the power in the home goes out. I'm just glad it was not me on a clean and check turning it off. You would think I sabotaged your furnace.

Thank you for replying so rapidly. In answer to LKJoel's question it is possible the furnace was firing when I turned it off.

Thank you for replying so rapidly. In answer to LKJoel's question it is possible the furnace was firing when I turned it off.

That still would not cause the module to fail. Have you had it checked?

It would not cause the module to fail, but could have caused other nuisance issues. Turn your stat to the off position, than back to heat, if no results, its time to call a pro

Very rare for the motor to die, usually just the module. But some brands don't sell the module separately so it is a very steep install. I highly doubt you did anything, just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    It would not cause the module to fail, but could have caused other nuisance issues. Turn your stat to the off position, than back to heat, if no results, its time to call a pro
    I think the motor has already been replaced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?