Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Got the Amprobe ACD 50 series last year. Like it very much.

Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    I'm still using a SC76. I've got 2 more of them I picked up at pawn shops for like $30. That's what lives in my service bag. I may end up with a Redfish as well now that I have the iConnect. Never had an issue with the SC76 except once for the front dial contacts getting worn out from use.

Post Likes
    Quick tip on amp clamp usage: ideally you are supposed to get the wire in the center of the jaws. Most meters have reference lines on the jaws to line up with. While it's not a huge difference (I've seen maybe .5 amps variation), it can give you inconsistent readings if you have the clamp in a different position around wires, especially if you are reading small amp draws.
    So if you are reading multiple legs of the same load or are comparing multiple readings of the same leg, make sure you have the wire in the jaws the same way for every reading for maximum accuracy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RezAtDorsia View Post
    Quick tip on amp clamp usage: ideally you are supposed to get the wire in the center of the jaws. Most meters have reference lines on the jaws to line up with. While it's not a huge difference (I've seen maybe .5 amps variation), it can give you inconsistent readings if you have the clamp in a different position around wires, especially if you are reading small amp draws.
    So if you are reading multiple legs of the same load or are comparing multiple readings of the same leg, make sure you have the wire in the jaws the same way for every reading for maximum accuracy.
    Very true indeed.

Post Likes
    I have a shelf full of Fluke and related meters. But my constant go-to is a Fieldpiece with a 66 in the number: might be SC66 but I'm not sure. It's does A/C amps, volts of both kinds, capacitance, micro amps, and has a thermocouple input for temps. It fits in my tool pouch and does 99.9% of everything I need to do.

Sometimes on an industrial site I break out a big padded suitcase of impressive test gear - but it's mostly For Show.

Fieldpiece will also rebuild or replace the meter, apparently forever, for about $50. Too. So if your budget is tight why not buy one used on eBay or somewhere? That's where I bought my two spares.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    I am currently using the Hioki clamp meter, which is pretty good for the size, but one thing it lacks is the function to measure Capacitance. Does anyone know for the price of arond $50-$70, what are some clamp meters u recommend, that can also measure capacitance
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I've got a Fluke 376 w/Flex probe, Fluke 410i's, amprobe NAV54, Gossen M312L, and recently a Flir CM174.

Is the Redfish IDVM-510 a rebranded DMM or are they made completely by Redfish? (Who I've never heard of before)

Post Likes

any Clamp Meter suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    I've got a Fluke 376 w/Flex probe, Fluke 410i's, amprobe NAV54, Gossen M312L, and recently a Flir CM174.

Is the Redfish IDVM-510 a rebranded DMM or are they made completely by Redfish? (Who I've never heard of before)
    I don't know if the Redfish is rebranded but it's a good possibility it is and they integrated the wireless function they use. If it came as a clamp meter I would be more inclined to pick one up for use with the IManilfold app.
    I've been looking at an Amprobe with the inclusion of the rotation into the meter. While I may have more meters in the van I look for the one that does most of everything I need in one. The more flexibly and ability I have with less tools is what I strive for. There are no replacements for some specialty meters but the more use I can get with a single tool means the less I have to carry and keep on hand as well as less trips to the van.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood88 View Post
    I don't know if the Redfish is rebranded but it's a good possibility it is and they integrated the wireless function they use. If it came as a clamp meter I would be more inclined to pick one up for use with the IManilfold app.
    I've been looking at an Amprobe with the inclusion of the rotation into the meter. While I may have more meters in the van I look for the one that does most of everything I need in one. The more flexibly and ability I have with less tools is what I strive for. There are no replacements for some specialty meters but the more use I can get with a single tool means the less I have to carry and keep on hand as well as less trips to the van.
    I have the amprobe. Its is packed full with features. I like it so far

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RezAtDorsia View Post
    I've been seeing some clamps with one spot close to the jaw specifically for low amp readings. I think it was a Amprobe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post

The Redfish meter looks a lot like some meters I see at home depot just by the look of the buttons

Post Likes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234